Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is anyone taking Cerazette?

(10 Posts)
Petal02 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:28:01

I've just started taking Cerazette - I was taking Microgynon, but as I'm now 42 my GP thought it was sensible that I went onto a non-oestrogen pill. I've only taken 3 pills so far, but would be interested to hear if anyone else takes it, if you have any side effects, and (most importantly) do you still have any bleeding?

colditz Tue 09-Aug-11 16:33:39

yes, I take it.

I bled non stop for about 3 weeks, was on ahormonal rollar coaster for about 6 weeks, then all settled down. I haven't bled in a year and I'm happy smile

Saltire Tue 09-Aug-11 16:37:25

Are you able tos till get it? I was on it for a year and had no side effects at all,a nd I have high BP and it was ideal -however I was told about 2/3 motnhs ago that supplies had run out and they changed me to Norithesteron (or soemthing like that) and I hate it, non stop bleeding and cramps angry

Petal02 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:47:45

I've just been prescribed 3 months supply, my GP didn't mention anything about supply problems .........

colditz Tue 09-Aug-11 17:23:21

Saltire you've been lied to. Go back.

Shinyshoes1 Tue 09-Aug-11 17:35:32

i'm on cerazette never had a supply problem, bled for a couple of weeks and no periods now for 4 years woohooo

No side effects either

crazykat Tue 09-Aug-11 17:56:55

i've been on it for about seven months and i had quite frequent bleeding for the first few months but none for the last month so i'm hoping it stays that way. i also got the hormonal rollercoaster which seems to be getting a bit better, just hoping i get back to normal soon though.

TryLikingClarity Tue 09-Aug-11 18:02:51

There are loads of threads on MN already about Cerazette.

I went on it when DS was a newborn as I wanted to bf him, but still didn't want to get pregnant. I didn't bleed until I'd been on it for 9 months (although I'm not sure if that was due to pill or bf). However, once I did start to bleed I bled heavily for 10 weeks! I stopped bf as DS was 11 months and I thought that was fair enough time to wean him. Had to get tested for anaemia and low iron levels cuz I'd bled so much sad

Am on microgynon now, much better!

I've heard that some women are just pre-disposed to bleed more than others on progesteron only pills.

Petal02 Fri 12-Aug-11 11:28:40

I've been reading lots of stuff on the internet about Cerazette, and it sounds pretty grim - however people only tend to post when they're having problems, don't they? I also read reviews about Microgynon, that sounded dreadful too, although I got on fine with it.

Anyway, started taking Cerazette on the first day of my period, that period has now stopped, like it normally does after approx 4 days, so I'm now waiting to see if anything else happens, I really couldn't deal with prolonged bleeding.

QueenStromba Fri 26-Aug-11 01:25:10

Saltire: PM me your address and I'll pop 3 packs minus 6 pills in the post to you. My GP prescribed it to me last week because I'm not 100% happy with Micronor. It has turned my brain to mush, in the last week I've left a sandwich maker turned on for 12 hours and left the kitchen tap running on full for about an hour (so lucky nothing bad happened either time). On top of that I'm constantly walking into rooms and forgetting why I'm there, starting sentences and forgetting what I was going to say and not being able to remember the word I want to use (I know these are things that we all do from time to time but I'm doing these things several times a day rather than once a month). Yesterday my DP said he was hungry and he was going to make a sandwich or something, he walked out of the room and then came back and asked if we had any soup in the freezer. I told him where I thought the soup would be but he couldn't find it so I went to look for him, then I sat with him while he heated the soup up, washed a bowl for him and watched him eat it for ten minutes. About half an hour later I turned to him and asked him if he'd had a sandwich.This is so not me at all, I'm normally really sharp and have a brilliant memory but the last week has been like I'm suffering from the early signs of Alzheimer's.

I think my GP might have been doing a little experiment on me (that or she's a tiny bit incompetent) because I was the exact same on the implant and after I realised I did a bit of a google and found out that they're essentially the exact same hormone (it seems that all progesterone only contraceptives are based around three different versions of progesterone). She knew I had these side effects on the implant because I'd just told her about it and she'd commented about how it was strange that I didn't have it on the pill. I think she may have been testing me because she didn't believe me. When I told the contraceptive nurse about my experience on the implant she was really surprised about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now