Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Someone sensible help me!

(10 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 26-Jul-11 20:05:40

Our second baby was born 16months ago and since then DH and I haven't had sex (birth nightmare etc).

Anyway, children stay overnight with family, we go to a party......we end up have unprotected sex. Relied on withdrawal at the last minute.....stupid I know. This was on Sunday morning.

I took the MAP today (tuesday morning) as I was worried.....wish I had taken in earlier but DH was convinced we would be ok.

Anyway, my question is, should I try and get a coil fitted tomorrow? I know they can be fitted up to 5 days after unprotected sex to avoid pregnancy (seems more likley than the MAP after 24hours). BUT I am worried about a coil and would have wanted more time to look into it. I think the copper coil sounds better than the Marina but dont know enough.

DH thinks wait and see if the MAP works.....but isn't sure we can cope with a 3rd baby after the year we have had. I really dont want another baby yet.

I was going to phone around tomorrow and see if any clinics could even fit one tomorrow.....WWTD?

Geordieminx Tue 26-Jul-11 20:08:20

It's reliable (98%) if fitted up to 5 days after.

Doubtful if you can find someone to fit it before Friday but it's worth a punt?

Would another baby be the end of the world?

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 26-Jul-11 20:13:51

It wouldn't be the right time ......I feel really stupid now sad

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 26-Jul-11 21:12:29

If another pregnancy now would be a nightmare, I would go ahead and see about the coil. AFAIK only the copper coil is licensed as emergency contraception, not the mirena anyway.

Your GP practice, family planning clinic, or a GUM clinic which also does contraception are all possible places to get it

Geordieminx Tue 26-Jul-11 21:14:00

Did he ejaculate inside you?

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 26-Jul-11 21:25:24

No, he pulled out Geordieminx
If I am honest I would rather go back on the pill but the GP who gave me the MAP said that at 30 years old the pill carries more risks etc.
I feel so bad, if the coil would stop a pregnancy then I should get it but if I have terrible side effects my poor children are going to have a rubbish summer hols.... sad

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 26-Jul-11 21:26:58

Would there be any point in doing an ovulation test now?? If it was positive wouldn't that mean I was pregnant as the hormone is the same isn't it??

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 26-Jul-11 21:28:42

Thank you moaningminniewhingesagain I wish we had never had a night out now!

Geordieminx Tue 26-Jul-11 22:00:41

If he didn't, and you took the MAP then I guess the odds are very much stacked in your favour, although having the coil fitted would just be a bit of added security.

So sorry you are going through this, although if you did have coil, hopefully you wouldn't have any side affects other than a day of cramping, nothing a couple of ibuprofen wouldn't fix.


tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 26-Jul-11 22:12:31

Thank you so much for answering Geordieminx. I really appricate your responces tonight, been feeling rubbish all day and DH is less than helpful! Fingers crossed for some help tomorrow. I am otherwise normally so grown up and sensible I promise! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: