Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you tell me your menstruation experiences after birth and BF?

(8 Posts)
SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 10:55:17

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 10:57:20

Sorry pressed send before posting the message. DD is exclusively BF, and 8 months old. I have had 1 "period" but I forgot to make a note of when it was. I'm sure it was over 6 wks ago. Is this normal? Done a pregnancy test a few days ago which was negative.

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 13:09:25

Bump

SleepySuzy Mon 11-Jul-11 21:36:08

Maybe another test?

LaTristesse Tue 12-Jul-11 21:43:07

DS is 16 mo now and still BF loads... I'm on my 3rd period now, all have been short - 3 days each, average flow and dead regular. I'm not taking the pill. Only weird thing I've noticed is an odd discharge which I didn't get as part of my cycle pre-baby. Hope that's helpful...

Kellsmc Tue 12-Jul-11 21:54:13

Entirely normal. It took ages before my periods went back to being regular after each of my 3 (all breast fed) and often they were irregularly spaced. But to save yourself the expense and stress of doing a test each month you might want to take reliable precautionswink.

ensure Tue 12-Jul-11 22:42:32

DD is three in a fortnight. She still BFs once in the night and usually once in the day.

I have had only three periods since she was born. One time I didn't ovulate. I can tell when I do because it really hurts to feed her for about a week when it happens! They were quite spaced out, about every 6 to 8 weeks.

I think I am a bit unusual though in that I didn't start to menstruate again after having her for over two and a half years. So my experience is probably no use as to what is normal really!

SleepySuzy Wed 13-Jul-11 11:39:57

Wow, that's a long time! This didn't happen with DD1 as she had bottles too and was off the breast before 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now