Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there a pill that doesn't make you gain weight?

(4 Posts)
mama2alex Sat 09-Jul-11 20:36:36

I've just got myself a new boyfriend and need some form of birth control. I have only ever used condoms and the pill and the pill definitely made me gain weight (I can't remember what kind it was, it was around 10 years ago). I am about 1 stone lighter than I was then and don't want to gain weight again (who does eh?) so just wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

ThePopsicleKat Sun 10-Jul-11 17:07:25

I have tried looking into this too, but unfortunately it looks like any hormonal form of contraception may have different side effects for different people. You just have to use trial and error to see what will work for you; I was on microgynon 30 and I didn't gain weight, but I know some people that did.

You should be able to find out which pill you were on before if you ask your GP to check your medical records, so you could always just ask to be given a different one from that. Probably avoid the injection though, that seems to be the one most rumoured to cause weight gain. Good luck!

mama2alex Sun 10-Jul-11 20:54:16

Thanks for the advice, the things we women have to go through eh!

ThePopsicleKat Sun 10-Jul-11 21:10:19

Too true. Wonder if this 'male pill' thing will ever become mainstream...<lives in hope>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now