Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

possible failed termination

(8 Posts)
ThisisaSignofthetimes Wed 06-Jul-11 17:25:34

looking for some advice as confused by the info being given by termination clinic and what other info is out there on the internet from other providers and health website.

I had a surgical termination a week and a half ago at 7 weeks. Since then I have bled very slightly, had cramps, boobs gradually feeling less tender but nausea, although not as bad still persisting.
I spoke to the clinic and they advised that I would need a scan as may have "placental remains" or the termination wasn't complete. Looking at their own guidance it states that placental remains would cause heavy bleeding, I'm not bleeding anymore. It also states that boobs can take a couple of weeks to settle down but that nausea shouls disappear immediately.
On other websites it suggests that nausea can also take some days to disappear and I have to say it isn't as bad as it was. I'm also not experiencing some of the other side effects of pregnancy e.g. Now happily drinking coffee and alcohol again.

Now I know I could go back for the scan but I found the whole experience pretty truamatic and would rather avoid doing so if possible so if anyone has any advice or experience please share!

PS haven't done a preg test as every website (just about the only thing they do agree on!) states the hormones will still be circulating for at least 3 weeks.

mumblechum1 Wed 06-Jul-11 17:29:31

A friend of mine had that and it turned out that she had an ectopic pregnancy which was still there two weeks after the "termination". Might be worth asking for a scan to be on the safe side.

ThisisaSignofthetimes Wed 06-Jul-11 17:31:55

they didn't mention a possible ectopic pregnancy, that is quite a scary thought. I'm not having any signs of that, pain etc, but always a possibility I guess - thanks.

SleepyFergus Wed 06-Jul-11 17:36:13

To be honest, I would go back for the scan to make sure everything is okay - for the good of your health and possibly if you intend on having children in the future.

I know going back for a scan may be horrid, is there a friend that could go with you for moral support?

ThisisaSignofthetimes Wed 06-Jul-11 17:42:30

i know I'm being a bit of a wuss about another scan, but think I'm going to have to bite the bullet. re the ectopic issue, I was scanned before the termination so they could verify dates but nothing abnormal showed up, so if they scan again would it show this time, maybe because they would be looking for something slighlty larger? my confusion is because there is such a disparity of information and some of my pregnancy symptoms have clearly gone, so something has obviously happened!

SleepyFergus Wed 06-Jul-11 17:48:35

TBH, it sounds like it's just the HCG hormone slowly leaving your body and everything starting to settle down. But if they are offering a scan, I would go for it to make sure everything us okay so you can move on from this experience.

I had a miscarriage 3 years ago and whilst going back in for a check up scan was scary and miserable, it confirmed everything had gone and it closed that particular proverbial chapter for me.

So on a health and mental basis, I really think you should do it! Good luck with whatever you decide.

ThisisaSignofthetimes Wed 06-Jul-11 17:53:06

sleepy thanks, will go for scan.

amatuermummy Fri 22-Jul-11 14:19:57

How did you get on with this op? Are you ok now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now