Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TTC after warfarin and DVT

(6 Posts)
maggie75 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:03:43

Hi - I am coming off warfarin after 6 months following a DVT and miscarriage. I have also had a DVT during a successful pregnancy.

Has anyone experience of TTC after warfarin therapy? How long did you leave it before TTC and were you put on Clexane (or other low molecular weight heparin) whilst TTC or only when you had conceived? I was on it only when I had my BFP last time and only a preventative dose - which clearly didnt work.

Any advice/experiences welcome. Advice and support from Haematologists pretty basic.

Ive heard of people on here and in RL mentioning units that merge Obs and gynae with Haemtology for women with DVT history etc - any knowledge of these (am in London).

thanks.

ScarletOHaHa Mon 20-Jun-11 21:47:20

I had DVT after pregnancy. My consultant recommended that I wait 18 months between pregnancies. I was told I would need to inject Clexane myself during pregnancy and have warfarin afterwards. I had other health problems that stopped me from TTC. I would ask your GP to refer you to consultant as it sounds like you need Clexane whilst TTC. Good luck.

BrianAndHisBalls Mon 20-Jun-11 21:50:51

I had a dvt when pregnant and was on clexane for the duration and 6 months afterwards. Was told that if i want to ttc again i need to go on the clexane straight away. I was having 2 x 8mg(?) injections a day.

maggie75 Tue 21-Jun-11 11:57:30

Hi - thanks both for your messages.

The Haematologist I saw yesterday was very uninterested about TTC and gave very vague info along the lines of its up to you, go to your GP and get clexane if you want and give it a go, not v useful. The dose I need obvs needs to be managed very closely and I need someoen to help me do this. Someone I saw before mentioned that they can scan the placenta throughout the pregnancy monitoring for clots and adjust the dose accordingly. Has anyone experience of this?

BrianAndHisBalls Tue 21-Jun-11 17:08:56

No experience of that sorry. First I knew of mine was terrific pain in my side when about 6 months pregnant. Went to drs they sent me for VQ scan and low and behold I had a pulmonary embolism.

ScarletOHaHa Tue 21-Jun-11 18:20:10

For the record my consultant (OB/GYN btw) suggested I may need to start Clexane before TTC. The advice given by your haematologist is vague and unhelpful. My DVT was 5 years ago and so things will probably be different. Sorry to be vague and non committal (I am not a haematologist btw)
Try your GP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now