Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Merina Coil

(8 Posts)
poppymum11 Thu 09-Jun-11 14:26:31

Hellooo Ladies! I am due to get the Merina coil fitted in the next couple of weeks! I had my baba in Feb so am hoping the initial insertion is going to be a little less painful than if I hadn't had any children. My main concern is that I have read a couple of conflicting conversations on here...some saying its the work of the devil and others saying its the best thing they've ever had! I have suffered from severe periods in the past and they were the main reason why I went on the pill. I just don't really want to go back to that! Any advice/help is appreciated!

shouldbeelswhere Thu 09-Jun-11 15:05:21

I've got this coil, as you say mixed reviews and I'd echo that but as for your heavy periods this will sort that one out. I have occasional bleeds, nothing regular and very light since having the merina fitted. Insertion was less painful after children but took paracetamol and neurofen just in case!

RosyRosie Mon 27-Jun-11 19:38:28

Hmmmwell I had realy heavy periods and the mirena certainly made them lighter...but it drew them out so I was pretty much constantly bleeding, and whereas normally I have a day of terrible pain, that's predictable and I know it'll be over - with the mirena, it could strike at any time!

mosschops30 Mon 27-Jun-11 19:44:20

I have had 2 mirenacoils and theyve both been amazing.
The one ive got in now went in under general anaesthetic, which was preferable to having it inserted awake.
I was suffering very heavy periods (could get through a super plus tampon in an hour), i had some breakthru bleeding for the first 6 months but its now settled and i have no periods, no periods on my first coil either.
No weight gain, no pmt, no hassle, i wouldnt have nything else

candzsmum Tue 05-Jul-11 23:09:15

Poppymum11 - did you go for it? If so, how was it? Just had my 6 week check after ds3 and spoke to the doctor about it today so think I'll try it, but the reviews are so mixed, so now feel very confused! Any further information or advice is gratefully received!

poppymum11 Mon 25-Jul-11 17:41:34

candzsmum - sorry for the late reply but hope you get this eventually! I did get the coil and must say I haven't had any real side effects other that continuous spotting/bleeding for the last couple of weeks...I've only taken bad with that due to the fact I haven't had a period for over a year!! I will be going next week for a 6 week check up but think thats all normal! I haven't suffered in any other way so far so would at least recommend to at least try!!

stevienicks Sun 04-Sep-11 07:41:04

I have had this coil in for 7 months. I have gained weight and have tried all sorts to get it off which used to be quite easy pre coil not so now, I look a bit less fleshier but the scales do not move. I also have really really sore boobs a week before period due I feel like I am pregnant and have to wear a sports bra to bed. I have gone through a few pregnancy tests as well. My periods have more or less gone down to nothing which was the reason I had it fitted but I sort of feel numb most of the time if that makes sense like I have lost my sense of humour and feel like I am in a dark place sometimes. I am sensitive to artifical hormones so this doesn't surprise me. Has anyone else had any of these symptoms. I also have noticed that my hair and skin are very dry and I have more grey hairs and feel I have aged not sure whether this is all in my head but I really feel like I have aged in the last few months. I am considering getting it taken out and will ring GP tomorrow to get an appointment and go back to the heavy periods at least it was for a couple of days this feels like its forever. I think I wil have to really change diet to try and stem blood loss though anyone got any advice re that part?

stevienicks Wed 21-Sep-11 15:19:08

Horray I had it taken out last week and although feel a little tired, I feel better already not so numb, although no noticable weight loss yet. I will have a read on other threads to see how long it takes. Not sure if I am going to have a period as got break through bleeding for a few days. My surgery were really great said I had given it long enough and took it out. Feel so much better in my head not as anxious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now