Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The "Withdrawal Method"...

(46 Posts)
ITHOTM Fri 27-May-11 12:46:41

...foolish (imho), but there you go.

Situation is that we have a DC and do plan to have a second, just not quite yet! So no long-term contraceptives being used, and no pill (as BFing).

In the heat of the moment last week we neglected the obvious condom route and ended up with this approach instead. We're both old enough to know better(!), but waiting now for next cycle to see if anything has happened.

Reading up on this, it seems that the withdrawal method (aka Coitus Interruptus) is actually reasonably effective. It was during the most fertile phase (again, d'oh) but the technique seemed to have been implemented, er, correctly blush.

Guess I'm just curious to hear anecdotal evidence of similar 'lapses' (or tbh those who use it intentionally - it seems to have a stigma attached to it that it doesn't really deserve) while we wait a week or two to see what occurs...

TheSecondComing Sat 28-May-11 00:43:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Goblinchild Sat 28-May-11 07:11:30

It's known as Vatican Roulette by many of the Catholics I know. smile

hsurp Sat 28-May-11 07:12:37

NOT a good idea!

seeker Sat 28-May-11 07:49:54

It's too lte now - but why didn't you ge the morning after pill? If it happens again, remember that you can get it over the counter now.

MrsDrOwenHunt Sat 28-May-11 07:52:29

i had a blocked fallopian tube, only ovulated every other month and pcos and only ever used withdrawal method, ds is 5 now!!!

WeirdAcronymNotKnown Sat 28-May-11 08:06:56

Hmm. Well you could quite feasibly be pregnant. Depends on your fertility and how it's affected by BFing as that differs between women. Would you be ok with a new baby?

Aren't there like a million sperm on the end of a penis before ejaculation? (why am I typing this at 8 in the morning confused) my mum was conceived when her mother was still a virgin - they did plenty of <ahem> 'other stuff' but that was enough. Only takes one sperm after all! Thanks for the info Grandma hmm (I'm glad I knew really, as it reminded me to be careful all the time not just with intercourse, and women in my family are very fertile)

Anyhow... I hope you get the result you want. Not sure if you can take MAP while BFing, but for future reference (only once you've done a pregnancy test obviously!) there are contraceptives you can take while BFing. Mini pill is one, and implanon (the arm thing) and I think the injection. There are also the coils, HOWEVER one type (sorry can't remember which one) while being given to BFing mums in the uk, is banned in the US because they are not convinced it doesn't affect the BFing baby. Just something to bear in mind.

ScarlettWalking Sat 28-May-11 08:09:23

I have used this for 10 yrs with dh always worked for us. If the guy knows what he's doing.

seeker Sat 28-May-11 10:21:09

You know what they call people who use the withdrawl method of contraception?

Parents.

numptysmummy Sat 28-May-11 10:27:04

Been using this method for nearly 5 years now. I keep hoping it will fail!

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 28-May-11 10:35:00

This was our primary method for 10years or so. All 3 of my children were planned and conceived whilst actively ttc.

We knew that it isn't as reliable as other methods and accepted that there might be accidents. If there had come a time when an accident would have been an issue we would have used an alternative method.

Incidently in case it makes any difference ttc took the minimal time.

Melty Sat 28-May-11 10:37:57

Hmm, withdrawal.
Heres my family: Good Catholics. smile
My older brother is 15 months older than me, I am 11 months older than my twin brothers, they are 14 months older than the youngest.

Something to bear in mind. wink

WalterFlipschicks Sat 28-May-11 10:38:27

We used this method for 5 years and only conceived, both times, when we were actually trying to, pill/implant both disagreed with me.

This time we are expecting DCDA twins!!

pink4ever Sat 28-May-11 10:40:15

We have been using this method for last 10 years. We do have 3 dcs and only planned 2blush. Still using it now. Tbh I wouldnt beupset if I fell pregnant but dh is adamant doesnt want anymore. Of course not adamant enough that he will go for a vasectomyhmm.

Bucharest Sat 28-May-11 10:45:37

Been using it since dd was born (she's almost 8)
Works for us.
Wouldn't recommend it to anyone else though, you pays your money, you takes your chances etc.

Wormshuffler Sat 28-May-11 10:48:05

We used this succesfully for 7 years, I kept hoping it would fail but it never did!

ITHOTM Sat 28-May-11 23:20:11

That's what I expected in general - ie it actually works quite well if you do things correctly.

Certainly don't plan on making a habit of it, but there seems to be a lot of misinformation about it (what, misinformation, on the internet? Never!)

Wouldn't at all be a disaster if PG, it would just be a bit earlier than planned - want to wait maybe another 6 months or so.

Jojay Sat 28-May-11 23:30:23

You can take the mini pill when bresatfeeding, if you want something more reliable

RoyalWelsh Sat 28-May-11 23:42:28

Me and DP use it for many reasons, good ones or not, and have done for nearly five years. Only one pregnancy early December/late January, which unfortunately I lost. I, like many others it seems, would be over the moon if it failed though

HannahHack Sat 28-May-11 23:45:34

I come form a cahtolic family, and you know what we call women who use the withdrawal method? Mummy.

However, think of all the women who are halthy who take years to conceive. Just think of it as a "happy" accident!

I have an implant and would think of any baby as that!

HannahHack Sat 28-May-11 23:47:07

PS You could have a coil fitted up to a week or so after unprotected sex if it bothered you that much.

squareegg Sat 28-May-11 23:50:49

Nosily sticking my beak in...
What's it's actually like? I can't imagine wanting the hassle of withdrawing in the absolute heat of the moment. I just can't picture the logistics!

Anyhow, I know natural family planning can be very effective if done properly. But this would mean missing your fertile days. However BF might offer you some protection, get the morning after pill if the times not right for you.

ITHOTM Sun 29-May-11 12:22:53

squareegg - pretty frustrating actually, hence why we don't plan to do it again! For all that condoms don't feel great, they're probably better overall.

Not sure how long it might be till we try for another anyway, so not sure about the mini-pill (ie might just come off it again fairly quickly).

How would BFing offer any protection?

Not massively concerned if it did happen tbh, but interesting to note general opinions. Still gets a bad rap - this is worth a read.

mollysmum82 Sun 29-May-11 12:46:58

Have you tried Toni Weschler's Taking control of your fertility? Still natural and no contraception needed, but a combination of temperature taking, cervical fluid checking and withdrawal might make things a bit more reliable?

madmomma Sat 20-Aug-11 23:23:52

currently pregnant with a 'withdrawl baby' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now