Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

But I liked the pill...

(8 Posts)
AprilRose Wed 27-Apr-11 17:21:47

So I went to the Dr today to get my next batch of microgynon, which I've been on for a couple of years now and was getting on nicely with, only to be told that my BP was rather high (had been commented on before, so I don't think it's a one off) which is a common side effect of the pill.

Briefly talked options with Doc, and decided fairly quickly that the mini pill wasn't for me, and the 3-monthly DEPO jabs just seemed even more hassle than 6-monthly pill collection (it's nigh on impossible to get an appointment outside of work hours) so the implant seems the natural solution. I'm not in a relationship, and even if I were, it is removable. So am going back to see a nurse in a fortnight (annoyingly a week after the end of AF, so will just be an appointment to confirm it's what I want, and then will have to book another appointment 3 weeks later to actually do it... Gah!)

Getting home, I've popped online to check out what I'm likely to face, and Doctor Internet is the most conflicting place I've ever met... Some places say you lose weight, some say it makes you gain, some say you spot near-constantly, others that you never have a period again.

Help me, ladies of MN! I was wondering if you could let me know how the implant was for you? (As many happy endings as horror stories, if you please!) I'm not worried about the implantation itself; am more than fine with needles (regular blood doning, have a couple of tattoos; am a bit of a masochist, it seems) just about what to expect from it.

TIA!

TotalChaos Wed 27-Apr-11 19:03:35

I got shoved off microgynon for same reasons as you, and got put on cerazette mini-pill, which has been excellent (some irregular light bleeding the first year, but then periods completely stopped). so might be worth you trying the mini-pill out anyway before having something as long term as the implant.

QueenStromba Wed 27-Apr-11 20:17:43

I had mine out after 24 days. After about 3 days of having it in I completely lost my sex drive and had no energy at all and after about a week I started losing my memory. I switched to it from the mini pill about two weeks after my period and didn't have one on it but I had all the symptoms except for the bleeding in the week where I was due on.

AprilRose Wed 27-Apr-11 20:46:40

Doc really did not sell the mini pill very well at all - I'd be fine with the taking it daily (better than remembering to take a day off on microgynon, I reckon.) However he said that you have to take it in a 3 hour window each day; which put me off a little. I'm lucky enough to be able to enjoy long lie ins on the weekend (if it weren't for work I'd be nocturnal...) so I'd not be able to guarantee hitting that window every day.

I think, for me, the mini pill would be second choice; above the injection, but below the implant. (I've ruled the coil out, though I've seen many here swear by it, just because the idea of anything sitting inside of me gives me weird feelings - crazy, I know, but I don't think it'd be for me.

cheepcheepchoconora Wed 27-Apr-11 20:49:25

I have had no problems at all with the implant here smile

Like all other hormone contraceptives they affect different people differently... I have had it in for 2 months now - no AF to speak of, 3 days of spotting after 38 days (normally about 30 days cycle) - For the first week I found mood swings an issue - because you have to keep taking the pill for 7 days along side - but once I stopped the pills I rapidly felt much better... no mood swings / pmt / weight gain at all

catsareevil Wed 27-Apr-11 20:52:31

cerazette doesnt have the three hour window - it it 12 hours.

Earthdog Sat 30-Apr-11 22:26:50

I was the same as you; had to come off Microgynon after many years last August due to high blood pressure. I was very upset as I thought the mini pill wouldn't suit me but, as has been said, Cerazette has a 12 hour window, is as reliable was the combined pill (for older women) and has completely stopped my cycle. I feel fine on it and it also seems to have stopped my IBS (well something has..) So I have decided to remain on it for now rather than risk changing to the implant which seems to have a higher chance of bleeding than Cerazette. My blood pressure has come back down to normal. HTH.

evenmoremiserablethanbefore Tue 28-Jun-11 19:58:54

just been prescribed Cerazette for heavy periods.Tried Tranexamic acid (severe side effect),had mirena coil fitted - twice (was wonderful while it stayed put! )
next step was ablation,but sod that.....
my sex drive is already low and i do need to lose a stone,so not happy about some bad experiences i ve read about cerazette.....
Im also on meds for high blood pressure and it is under control now,but i have to take them for life.
is cerazette safe with ramapril and amlopidine?? its only a small amount of progesterone ,like the Mirena ,so i assume it will work?
need some more reassurance please xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now