Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper Coil - Positive Stories?

(29 Posts)
neverright Thu 10-Mar-11 20:17:51

Hi,

I've been to the GP today to discuss contraception due to my age she has suggested I choose either coils or the implant. After much reading I'm wavering towards the Copper coil do to the fact it is non hormone based. I am concerned about the possibilities of infection plus stories of people being able to feel it!!!!

Can you please help me make a decision.

Thanks

Brahbrah Thu 10-Mar-11 20:24:09

I've used a copper coil between dc and now that I'm not planning any more. Same as you I wanted to avoid hormone based contraception. It's been fine so far. I was warned that my periods might be heavy, but I haven't had a problem with that. I certainly can't feel it. I did have a problem with the first one that when I checked the strings I could feel the tip of the coil poking out of my cervix (!). I don't know whether it was badly fitted or whether I had dislodged it with my first attempt at using a mooncup, but I had another fitted and didn't have any more problems.

I would definitely recommend over the implant, which sent me loopy.

neverright Wed 16-Mar-11 18:58:15

Thanks Brahbrah thats help me make my decision. I'm going in tomorrow to have it fitted. They said they would only fit it during my period and typically I've finished today so it may be out off for another month. Thanks very much for your advice.

mizu Tue 05-Apr-11 14:47:06

Had the copper coil in for a few years and loved it. Never knew it was there. Would recommend it over any hormonal contraception.

Honeydragon Tue 05-Apr-11 14:51:25

neverright

They did mine without having my period as they hadn't returned properly as bf. I promised faithfully to avoid sperm at all costs abstain from intercourse till my next period/four weeks and they were fine. wink

In your case I assume it would be till your next period.

llandb Wed 06-Apr-11 18:35:15

Oh, that's interesting. I've just had one put in (two days ago) and it feels a bit ... odd (sorry to hijack - have just posted about odd symptoms including this).

Still better than being pregnant or on the pill / implant that makes me fat and loopy

Good luck with good luck stories!

llandb Wed 06-Apr-11 18:37:18

Should add that periods haven't returned 4 months after a baby, but as it's not unusual for them to deal with this scenario, they just had to quiz me on my contraception (too tired to need any, ha ha, so no chance of being pregnant). Yes, they took my word for it that I'd abstained

Insomnia11 Mon 11-Apr-11 16:06:41

I'm having one fitted on Friday. After 18 years on the Pill I've probably had enough of hormones. I was scared of Mirena after hearing similar reactions to it as I had with Microgynon years ago, and decided to try no hormones v 'low' hormone dose.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 27-Jul-11 20:16:48

After having a copper coil fitted today (I am sure I can feel it??) just wondered how you were all getting on with them?

Cazwa Wed 27-Jul-11 20:22:28

First one was fine, a bit sore and weird at first with particularly heavy periods and then fell out after a year. 2nd one has been absolutely fine, cant feel it, light periods, brilliant. Both copper, would recommend to anyone.

DandyGilver Wed 27-Jul-11 20:26:42

mine is fine. Periods longer but not any more "crampy" and only a little heavier.

Painful when being inserted, though. But now it has settled down and I don't know it is there.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 27-Jul-11 20:43:08

Thanks ladies. I think the discomfort is more from the tool to open the cervix - I hate the feeling!

DontWorryBaby Thu 28-Jul-11 20:52:57

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a copper coil question!

I had mine fitted about a fortnight ago, still breastfeeding so no periods. I'm sure the threads have moved lower since it was fitted. It took me a week to pluck up the courage to check them and they were maybe halfway up (can't think of a nicer way of wording that - sorry!) and now they are right at the entrance. I also feel the threads jagging into me at times. Do you think it has moved? I don't want to make another trip to the doctor if this is normal.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Thu 28-Jul-11 21:00:31

I was told they cut them short so most men don't feel them during sex.......yours do sound low. I think the most likely time, if any, for the coil to come away is in the first month, hence the 6 week check up.
I think you will need to go back. I haven't had the guts to feel yet, still getting over the fitting! :0

DontWorryBaby Thu 28-Jul-11 21:05:53

I wasn't actually given an appointment to have it checked, doesn't seem to be the norm here. Will have to phone and make an appointment with a specific doctor. I'd have thought if it was going to come out, it would come right out. Surely if my threads are sitting very low then it must be kind of stuck halfway?! blush

DontWorryBaby Thu 28-Jul-11 21:13:45

Now that you mention it, I'm sure my doctor told me that if DH felt the threads during sex I could go back and have them trimmed. Obviously where they are sitting now isnt right! Back to the doctor's, stripped from the waist down I go...

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Thu 28-Jul-11 21:41:22

Bless you, us women do suffer!! Let me know the outcome!!

reastie Sat 30-Jul-11 19:04:23

dontworry I had a copper coil fitted maybe 3 weeks ago - for the first week or so I could feel the threads jagging in me too. It's not so bad now but every now and again I can feel them. i'm hoping it's normal. Got my check in 2 weeks and have already got GP to check it blush as worried this wasn't normal. I'm having issues with mine and IBS though so may have to have it removed sad

DontWorryBaby Sat 30-Jul-11 21:44:19

If someone could tell us how long the threads should be it would put our minds at rest, wouldn't it?! I didn't phone docs on Friday, was hoping if it was coming out that it would just painlessly appear, I'm really worried it will hurt if it's not in the right place. Best just get it over & done with. I'll phone on Monday.

QueenStromba Sun 31-Jul-11 18:21:27

I also have a question. What are the threads made of? People talk about their partner being able to feel them so I guess they're not like sewing thread. I've reached the point where I'd be willing to give the copper coil a chance since I'm fed up with hormonal contraception but my DP is a bit on the large side so I don't want to get the coil if it's just going to hurt him.

reastie Mon 01-Aug-11 10:01:37

queen i dont know what they are made of but it feels like very fine wire. it couldnt do ant damage at all i dont think. my dh says he cant feel them and only ocassionally can i feel an odd sort of tickly type feeling. initially it was alot more jaggedy but i read it can take a week or so for them to 'curl up'

nik75 Tue 02-Aug-11 14:52:43

I'm glad I'm not the only one worried! I had the copper coil in for 4 years after my DD was born, I could hardly feel the threads when I checked and the only side effect was heavy & longer periods. I got it out last year to TTC and I got pg straight away and had my DS 3 months ago. I got my coil put back in June and I'm due for a check up in 2 weeks, I had to cancel my original appt. I have noticed this time the threads seem very low, I only need to put my finger (sorry tmi) up a bit to feel it. I am now worried sick that it has moved & I'm pregnant. I'm feel like I've had pregnancy symptoms since Saturday when I first thought I might be pregnant although could all be in my head (I hope!).
I called the family planning clinic yesterday and the lady did say it was very unlikely that I would be pregnant and to ring my own clinic to see if I can get it checked earlier.
Anyone else had anything similar?

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 14:58:38

They will feel like they're in a different place at different times of the month because your cervix moves up and down. It dips down when you ovulate for example, to pick up waiting sperm. Clever thing the cervix. So it's utterly normal for them to go from high up to low down.

When I had a coil fitted I could feel the threads poking out and the doc reassured me they would, er, coil up and around the cervix out the way. Which they did. I could feel them, as could dh but not in a problematic way.

I could always feel my coil though, sort of a weird, heavy, jabbing sensation at certain times. But not painful as such.

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 14:59:44

They're not sharp is what I mean. So DH could always feel them, as could I with my fingers, but they're not about to stab/scrape either of you. They're very soft. Like boiled fishing line...

nik75 Tue 02-Aug-11 15:29:16

DH said he has never felt them and I've never felt the actual coil. I was just concerned as I never felt my other coil threads so low down ifykwim! Roll on the weekend when I hope AF comes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now