Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help me....copper coil fitted 2 days ago, I'm in so much pain

(15 Posts)
tristalewjac Sun 12-Dec-10 20:35:15

Hi, I had the copper coil fitted on Friday. It was actually ok, slight sharp pain when it went in, slight cramping for the rest of the day.
Today I woke up and had pain as if I'm constipated (sorry for TMI but I feel I have to rule stuff out) I felt like I was totally packed up or something. But it cant be bowels as I'm regular.
In the morning (while I just thought it was bowels) my DP and I had sex which was awful. So so painful.
Throughout the day the pain has gotten worse and it hurts to move around. It hurts when I'm sitting down, and quite sharply if I sit forward.
No bleeding.

Sorry but I thought you never know this might be normal, just want to check with people who will be more in the know than me.

Please help if you can.

Thanks

Niecie Sun 12-Dec-10 20:39:36

Well, I don't know for sure I would get it checked out because it doesn't sound like it is in the right position. It shouldn't hurt that much. Mine wasn't comfortable to put in and I was in a bit of pain afterwards but nothing as bad as you sound like you are having. The fact that it hurts in certain positions sounds like it has moved. Either that or perhaps they used the wrong size. I know at least one of the ones I have had had to be measured for size.

Hope you feel better soon.

MrsColumbo Sun 12-Dec-10 20:56:20

Go to the docs tomorrow - it shouldn't hurt and you shouldn't be aware of it. Don't grin and bear it, and don't let the doctor fob you off with "Well, there can be some discomfort at first" - there shouldn't! Anything that interferes with your sex life needs sorting out! Good luck with this.

eviscerateyourmemory Sun 12-Dec-10 21:00:11

I would agree with getting it checked out - it might have been placed in the wrong position, or might have dislodged since. If you could be seen at a family planning clinic that would probably be better than at the GPs as FPC are usually far more experienced in fitting of coils than GPs

pud1 Sun 12-Dec-10 21:02:37

i had a copper coil fitted 5 weeks ago. i was in agony for about a week and half afterwards. had really sharp period like pains. they actually felt more like contractions. it felt like my body was trying to reject it. it settled after about 10ish days. i also bled for the same amount of thime. have now got my first period and it is not heavy or more painful than normal.
i would get it checked though if you are worried

blushington Sun 12-Dec-10 21:03:02

Go get it checked, it shouldnt hurt that much

Could possibly have punctured your womb although if this had happened the doc would probably have noticed at the time. So don't panic too much but do get it checked

tristalewjac Sun 12-Dec-10 23:11:01

Thankyou for your replies.
I phoned NHS 24 and they advised me to go to out of hours clinic. Saw a lovely GP who thinks it may be an infection.
She's given me 2 different antibiotics at double dosage and some painkillers. Hopefully I'll get some relief. If not it may have to come out but I'll choose to stay positive first.
Thanks again for replies.

tristalewjac Sun 12-Dec-10 23:11:03

Thankyou for your replies.
I phoned NHS 24 and they advised me to go to out of hours clinic. Saw a lovely GP who thinks it may be an infection.
She's given me 2 different antibiotics at double dosage and some painkillers. Hopefully I'll get some relief. If not it may have to come out but I'll choose to stay positive first.
Thanks again for replies.

tristalewjac Sun 12-Dec-10 23:12:45

Apologies for double post, stupid phone

Niecie Mon 13-Dec-10 10:03:06

tristalewjac - glad you saw somebody and got sorted out. I hope you feel better soon.

tristalewjac Mon 13-Dec-10 12:53:30

Oh my, I'm so unwell today. Had no sleep due to pain and overheating one minute, freezing the next. Pain just as bad today. I hope these tablets all kick in soon.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 13-Dec-10 12:58:44

Did the dr take a swab? If not and there is no improvement by tomorrow I'd go to the GP and get a swab done. This will show if definetly an infection and importantly which antibiotics are best for it.

Niecie Mon 13-Dec-10 13:24:09

Oh sorry to hear you still aren't feeling well.sad

It can take a day or 2 for antibiotics to kick in. Awful for you. Are you taking paracetamol or ibuprofen to keep your temperature under control? Assuming that they don't clash with the painkillers that is. Check with a pharmists if you aren't sure. Keeping your temp down will make you feel a bit better even whilst the ABs kick in.

tristalewjac Wed 15-Dec-10 09:36:17

Hi, just wanted to say thanks again for replies, I'm feeling loads better now. Back to my old self again.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-Dec-10 13:45:37

Glad you're better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: