Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breastfeeding and mirena coil?

(7 Posts)
CherryPie3 Thu 02-Dec-10 16:10:39

Just wondered of having the coil fitted affects bf at all? My baby ds is 5mths old and is exclusively breastfed up to now, will be starting baby led weaning in about 3-4 weeks-if he seems ready.

I want to get some kind of birth control sorted as otherwise dh has advised he will have a vasectomy, something I would rather he wouldn't do as we're both still young at 23(him) and 25(me). We have 3 children, a daughter and 2 sons. I'm not ruling out the possibility of another child in a few years - but definitely not yet!!!! One baby at a time please grin

All advice welcome, and thanks in advance xxxx

solo Thu 02-Dec-10 22:51:29

No, they recommend the Mirena for contraception when you are bfing; I had mine fitted when Dd was about 4 months, but it didn't suit me at all.

There are lots of threads on here about the Mirena and it would probably be a good thing to have a read of some of them before you decide as there are pro's and con's to it; it suits some people but not all...I had a dreadful time with mine, but I have rl friends who have loved it with no problems at all.

festivefriedawhingesagain Thu 02-Dec-10 22:53:22

I had my Mirena put in when DS was 4 months. Still feeding him now, not noticed any problems with the BF at all.

But some people don't get on with them as Solo said, do have a browse through other threads.

solo Thu 02-Dec-10 23:05:21

Oooh, I hope it didn't sound like I had problems with bfing with the Mirena because I didn't. I'm still feeding Dd now nearly 4 years on, but minus the Mirena which was in for over 2 years.

festivefriedawhingesagain Thu 02-Dec-10 23:07:20

No Solo, it didn't sound like that at allsmile Just that Mirenas seem to be like Marmite - love 'em or hate 'em!

solo Thu 02-Dec-10 23:08:11

Lol! absolutely!

CherryPie3 Fri 03-Dec-10 11:23:59

Ahh, many thanks!!

That will be my plan then, to have the mirena coil.

Thank You xxxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: