Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Not sure which option to choose. Any advice?!

(10 Posts)
Partyof52010 Fri 26-Nov-10 11:41:21

Hi all, I have 3 DC's, and we are fairly certain we don't want any more, but am now not sure what contraception to choose. I don't want DH to have vasectomy just in case we decide for more later on (I'm only just 30.) My periods have just returned after BF number 3 for a year and they're heavy and agonising. TMI coming up, but I'm flooding a super plus tampon after an hour. For this reason I was considering a Mirena coil but have heard some horror stories.
Anyone got any advice?
Thanks.

mummysmadhouse Mon 29-Nov-10 22:08:35

Watching with interest as i am in a similar situation

Madhouse41 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:52:22

I had the Mirena coil put in between my second and third DS (about 10 years ago now) and I hated it. It made me bleed for about 3 months which they did warn me about but I couldn't cope with it. It also killed my sex drive (maybe not such a bad thing!).

It may have improved now but just thought I would share my experience of it.

I too am in a similar situation now and not sure what to do. I have just had DC4 and am pretty sure that's it but can never say never!!!

racmac Tue 30-Nov-10 12:14:22

I had implanon put in and its great - no periods since
they can remove it whenever i want

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Tue 30-Nov-10 12:16:26

Sorry I agree with madhouse. Avoid mirena

cazzybabs Tue 30-Nov-10 12:16:55

I am going for the Mirena coil ... my gp assures me it hurts to put in, I may bleed for months but then it should stop the bleeding (fingers crossed) and all the internet horror stories she hasn't had anyone come back wiith problems

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Tue 30-Nov-10 12:33:49

Yeah right. I ended up crying in agony from a coil that was still in situ correctly after being checked. My DP had to take time off work to drive me to hospital.

Partyof52010 Tue 30-Nov-10 13:22:10

I'm thinking I may see the nurse at GP surgery and discuss with her. I don't fancy the idea of bleeding for 3 months. As for killing sex drive...well, its too cold to go without clothes!

racmac how long does the implant last for?

beckstar24 Tue 30-Nov-10 20:33:12

I had the implant and ended up being signed off work for 5 weeks with anxiety and depression that went away as soon as removed (but I do get very moody emotional when pg anyway)

from what I was told if you react to pg hormones and it affects your mental state you are likely to not get on with hormonal contraception either

racmac Tue 30-Nov-10 21:01:59

the implant is for 3 years although Dr said could take it out earlier if required.

I was fairly limited in contraception - too old for the pill, patch is the same as the pill so it was coil or implant - I didnt want to keep having depo and the implant is a lesser concentration than the implant.

I didnt like the idea of a coil - something up there all the time made me freak out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now