Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Implanon - Is this really normal?

(3 Posts)
NewbeeMummy Thu 18-Nov-10 12:07:14

I had my implant inserted when DD was 6 weeks old, as suggested by my Doctor.

I had 8 weeks on really heavy bleeding non stop, but went to see doc and she assured me this was normal and to stick it out, which I did.

My periods did then settle down to a regular cycle, but instead of what I would call a normal flow, I basically have a think black gunky period, I spoke to my doc about this a couple of months ago and she said not to worry it was just a sign of a slow flow.

I also now suffer from awful cramps, really bad PMS (crying/ miserable) which I have never had before.

Do I accept that this is part of my body just changing after child birth, or am I not "getting on" with the Implanon?

I only went for it as I was still BF'ing and I have fallen pregnant on both the pill and the injection previously, so it was suggested that I try this.

Please any advise or experiancesx would be really useful, I just feel miserable for about half of every month.

xxJaslynxx Thu 18-Nov-10 12:56:42

Hello NewbeeMummy

I had my implant inserted about 2 years ago and too be honest at the beginning felt no change at all.

but for the last year or so I have been bleeding 75% of the time and have also been suffering with pain and discomfort, so I can completely relate to what you are feeling. I chose to keep my implant in because I really didn't want to get pregnant and didn't think the implant was the source of the problem.

About 3 weeks ago I had my implant removed and havent been bleeding at all(apart from 5 days of my period) and the discomfort and pain has gone away.

I think you should talk to your g.p again and explain how your feeling because it isn't fair to feel that way.

I hope my post has helped in some way and hope you get on well.

x smile

NewbeeMummy Thu 18-Nov-10 17:40:51

Thanks xxJaslynxx I feel like I'm being fobbed off by my GP and I think I'm going to go and see her and ask to try something else.

Thanks so much for your post, it's one of those things that feels a bit weird discussing with your mates, but have the net to hide behind really helps.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now