Talk

Advanced search

DS1 (12) wants to do a family tree

(9 Posts)
Curiousmama Wed 21-Oct-09 16:41:44

Any help gratefully received smile As in where to start?

overmydeadbody Wed 21-Oct-09 16:43:07

start with DS and work backwards grin

overmydeadbody Wed 21-Oct-09 16:43:38

sorry! No practical advice, do you have old family history?

Ivykaty44 Wed 21-Oct-09 16:46:44

always ask older relatives first - so get ds to ask you, his df and then any d grandparents next

Have you got ds birth certificate? Show him this and explian that they have been issuing these certificates since 837 and as it gives mothers and fathers name it is really useful when researching family history.

if you are married can you show him a copy of the certificate, it shows the fathers nmaes and this helps wihth research, along with ages of bride and groom adn fathers and grooms occupations (brides often didn't have one)

Ivykaty44 Wed 21-Oct-09 16:47:16

sory 1837 = 837

Curiousmama Wed 21-Oct-09 19:22:19

thanks think I'll get him to talk to gran and nana as a start. I remember someone once mentioning an online tool? I know there's genes reunited could maybe get him to join?

Ivykaty44 Wed 21-Oct-09 20:23:45

I would leave things like genes reunited alone at his age esp - go to rootschat and get him to get help there - it is a very weel moderated board and they will give him help and advice to get him started once he has the basics from his oral information from his nan etc.

You may well have to buy a couple of certificates ie 7 each to get back before 1901

Curiousmama Wed 21-Oct-09 21:08:23

thanks a lot IvyKaty44 I'll tell him.

Honneybunny Sun 25-Oct-09 07:50:28

Try the site www.familysearch.org, they have loads of info. Make sure you double check everything though, as they can get a bit erratic once you go further back. And be careful: I have found making my familiytree extremely addictive grin!
Also found that I do not seem to have very many interesting people on my side, whilst dh has a knight of the garter, a landlord with houses on wall street, a merchant who died of cholera in riga etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now