Talk

Advanced search

So how many of you rushed off to scour your family trees for potential congenital syphillis last night?

(5 Posts)
TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Thu 20-Aug-09 18:32:02

(after watching Who Do You Think You Are)

Can't see any evidence of it in mine, fortunately for the families involved. But I thought it was an interesting episode.

shoshe Thu 20-Aug-09 18:41:58

It was very intresting, I found a family that lost children in a similar way and I will have to look into it.

edam Thu 20-Aug-09 18:47:40

that part was interesting but gather earlier section was a bit dull.

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Thu 20-Aug-09 19:01:43

I thought the earlier bit was interesting as well -- there was some Second World War stuff that was fairly routine genealogy-wise, I suppose, although even that was a useful reminder that there are sources beyond service records (in this case the service record had a nondescript "killed in action" and a date but they managed to get back from that to the unit's official war diary and another first-person account of exactly what had happened. And then there was some interesting stuff on the education of the blind in Victorian England. One problem they had was in having been unable to find out what the big scandal was that drove the great-grandfather to lose/leave his job and comfortable life in Worthing and move to Hull. I wonder if that was related to the syphillis too?

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Thu 20-Aug-09 19:04:06

Although, I suppose, Martin Freeman wasn't the most engaging subject. He came across oddly flat and disengaged, although he was clearly interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now