Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I copy/export my own Genes Renited tree into another document?

(8 Posts)
glasjam Fri 31-Jul-09 15:58:08

I've got a tree on Genesreunited that I've been building for just over a year. I want to share it with other family members without them having to access Genesreunited and wondered if there was a straightforward/recommended way to do it.

I appreciate that all the notes attached to each name will probably not be transferrable but will the basic tree be exportable?

I think I've reached a bit of an impasse with Genesreunited and I am getting sick of all the Hot Matches that are piling up and are completely irrelevant. It's starting to be the case that all my most exciting looking Hot Matches are people who've copied their info from me (which I don't mind about actually).

It would be a bit of fag if I had to manually start building the tree again within another software package!

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Thu 20-Aug-09 18:29:05

Yes, you can export as a GEDCOM; I've not done it myself (as I keep my data in another programme and then import it into GR) but I have heard mention on the GR discussion boards that it takes them a good while to email the download file. Still, it can definitely be done.

Near the bottom of the screen (not a family tree screen, but the home page or one of the others) there's a link that says "Import/export gedcom". Click on that, then on the next page scroll down and click on "Export Gedcom".

You can import the GEDCOM file into pretty much any family tree software.

xesmuB Thu 20-Aug-09 18:44:00

Yes exactly as dm says. I have the family tree maker sw which you can link to an ancestry subscription. Clicking on a name will auto link to all likely matches in the census bmd etc. The reporting tool is good too. I have 20000 names in mine. If family members don't have software try www.rootsweb.com. It's free and you can upload your gedcom file there and email the link to people. It 's a lot easier to view the info there.

glasjam Sat 22-Aug-09 23:27:25

Thank you! Have only just seen your replies. Will try the GEDCOM route - I guess that means that I have to have some family tree software to export it into though? Or can I just upload the exported GEDCOM File to rootsweb (which I've used quite a lot). Basically wanting to do this without spending any money (or very little)

I don't know about anyone else but my family history research has ground to a halt now that I can't do anything without parting with cash! sad. Oh for celebrity status and the cash to enlist the expertise they have available on Who Do You Think You Are.

whiskersonkittens Sun 23-Aug-09 00:28:46

you can get a free gedcom compatible family tree software programme from here

I use it and find it easy to learn and user friendly

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Sun 23-Aug-09 12:21:34

I'd be happy to do some Ancestry lookups for you, if you'd like (email portandlemon@live.co.uk if so).

(Am on holiday from tomorrow for a week, though)

glasjam Mon 24-Aug-09 10:16:05

Great stuff I don't need to look up anything at the moment - I've reached a position in my family history where I am before census and birth certs but thank you so much for the kind offer TheDailyMailHatesWomenandLemon! I might need to look some stuff up in the future so may get in touch. Will see if I can get my head round that family.org tree - thanks for the tip!

Portofino Mon 24-Aug-09 10:50:57

I'm always happy to do look ups too. I think my susbscription needs renewing though - winter is my researching period. (summer involves sitting in garden with wine).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now