Talk

Advanced search

Birth records in West Germany 1945 - 1960

(4 Posts)
SoMuchToBits Fri 12-Jun-09 11:18:26

Hi, does anyone know where I might find birth records for relatives who were born in Germany between 1945 and 1960?

The parents were British, and returned to Britain later, but their children were all born in Germany.

Hope someone will be able to help!

OP’s posts: |
WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 12-Jul-09 13:26:33

I'm probably much too late to be of help but will try anyway !

Do you know where exactly they were born ? I'm in the middle of trying to get my Grandfather's birth certificate and have been pointed towards Landesarchiv NRW Personenstandsarchiv in Brühl which deals with Rheinland records or there's an online form for the city where he was born that I can try, though the very kind man from a local history society in Germany wasn't sure if they would post abroad and felt that the Landesarchiv would be better.

He also said that I would probably have to submit a copy of my Mother's birth certificate to prove I am legally entitled to the information.

crystalglasses Sun 13-Mar-11 14:00:00

If they were born to british parents living in Germany just after WW2 they may have been registered with the British Consulate as well and so have a UK birth certificate. I was and I do.

So it might be worth checking the brtish records first.

tribpot Sun 13-Mar-11 14:03:00

Were these children of British military or embassy personnel? I assume you've explored that avenue?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in