Talk

Advanced search

What relationship are my cousin's DCs to my DCs?

(11 Posts)
crokky Sun 07-Jun-09 10:02:28

What relationship are my cousin's DCs to my DCs? And what relationship am I to my cousin's DCs?

I don't understand how the first cousin/second cousin/removed stuff works so would be grateful for any explanation!

Monkeyandbooba Sun 07-Jun-09 10:03:33

Both DCs are 2nd cousins.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 07-Jun-09 10:08:57

cousin's DCs to my DCs - 2nd cousins

I to my cousin's DCs - 1st cousin once removed

(according to the genes reunited chart)

crokky Sun 07-Jun-09 10:11:17

Right I see!

All the kids are 2nd cousins to eachother.

So her DC are my 1st cousins once removed. Does it work the other way as well - ie am I the 1st cousin once removed of her DC?

mrsjammi Sun 07-Jun-09 10:14:29

Message withdrawn

mamadiva Sun 07-Jun-09 10:15:19

I thought that your cousin would be 2nd cousin to your DC's and her DC's would be their 3rd cousins.

Although I have never been good at this stuff.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 07-Jun-09 10:16:35

www.islandregister.com/cousin.html

mamadiva Sun 07-Jun-09 10:16:51

Aah MrsJammi I am not mad then

Weird as well because I was thinking fo my extended family and the cousin I based my theory on is half maltese too

eidsvold Sun 19-Jul-09 22:30:34

it works on the basis of how far removed you are from the common ancestor - so you and your cousin are first cousins - your cousin's children and you are not equal distance iyswim from the common ancestor so you are 1st cousins once removed. your children and cousin's children are 2nd cousins - 2 generations from common ancestor.

FAQinglovely Sun 19-Jul-09 23:58:23

right so can someone please tell me this - as we were trying to work it out at a family funeral the other day.

I was chatting to "my cousin" and her DD. We know it's not straight cousins but have never worked out what we are, nor what my children are to her children.

However - now bear with me this is complicated

her father is the sister of my grandmother (on my mum's side).

I've always known my uncle as Great-uncle - and therefore he's my DS's Great, Great Uncle - yes?

So what does that make his children and grandchildren to me and my children????

eidsvold Mon 20-Jul-09 04:50:31

my great aunt refers to me as her great/grand niece and my children are her great great nieces or great grand nieces.

Okay I think I have this:

her father and your grandmother are siblings? right?

so his children and your parents would be cousins - first cousins.

SO his children and you would be first cousins once removed ( your parents and the children are same generation - so they are first cousins.)

His grandchildren and you are second cousins as you are both the same generation.

so his children and your children are first cousins twice removed.

his grandchildren and yours would be 2nd cousins once removed.

so it would follow his great grand children and your children would be third cousins.

I think I got it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now