Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else doing transcriptions for FreeBMD?

(8 Posts)
PortAndLemon Mon 01-Jun-09 13:58:47

I've recently volunteered and just done my first page, so have that faintly smug glow of having Given Something Back. Once that's been checked they'll give me some more to do. It didn't take too long to do a page, either.

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 01-Jun-09 14:03:14

I used to do them, stopped after a few months though, as was getting really fed up of being hassled to make changes to transcriptions I'd done if I didn't do them immediately. Although this might have just been the person who was running the group I was in!
It is easy though and satisfying to give back like you say
I may have another look at it and consider joining a different group.

PortAndLemon Mon 01-Jun-09 14:15:07

Were you doing handwritten or typed? I was a bit terrified of the idea of doing handwritten transcription but I think my syndicate is mostly doing 1930s stuff that typed, well-scanned and is pretty clear to read. But equally they are probably just giving me the easy stuff... grin

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 01-Jun-09 15:19:03

I started doing typed and then went on to do the handwritten ones. Most of them are fine, is very satisfying deciphering some of it, although time consuming! grin
There is loads of help for figuring out the handwrititten ones on the site.

throckenholt Thu 25-Jun-09 10:34:09

another alternative is to volunteer for FreeREG - a sister project that works on parish registers. Some counties have good coverage - some none yet - but it is a long term project that will grow over time.

elvislives Thu 25-Jun-09 22:02:02

How do you volunteer and what does it involve?

throckenholt Fri 26-Jun-09 10:45:30

have a look here.

It varies a bit from county to county depending on what they have available. But basically it is using the old registers (either digital images or fiche) and transcribing them with a package that formats it for you. Then you upload it to a server, and once every 4 weeks it gets built into a searchable database.

A county coordinator will talk you through it, allocate you work and help with any problems you have. You can do as much or as little as you want - but be warned - it can be addictive.

If you can read the older writing you will be even more welcomed - but there is lots of the more recent ones to be worked on too.

elvislives Fri 26-Jun-09 19:57:50

Thanks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now