Talk

Advanced search

Gibraltor - early 1800s birth certificates and more info about connections with Scotland

(7 Posts)
NoNickname Wed 06-May-09 13:05:02

An ancestor of mine was born in Gibraltor. He has also said in a few censuses that he was born in Scotland. (The surname is SUTHERLAND, so certainly Scottish).

I haven't been able to find out how to get hold of a birth certificate from Gibraltor. Does anyone know how? Was there any civil registration there in 1809? Also, if Gibraltor had a census around then, what country would it come under? UK? Spain?

Also, why would a Scot be in Gibraltor with his wife in 1809? Was there some sort of military presence there at that time? If so, what was the regiment that was there then?

Many thanks if you can help in any way.

GentleOtter Wed 06-May-09 13:09:54

link to info on the Black Watch

NoNickname Wed 06-May-09 13:22:43

Sorry - that should be Gibraltar (just in case I can't find this thread again and search for it with the right spelling!!)

Also, he seems to have settled in Cumberland/Carlisle for a while, before moving to Durham. I've been told that Carlisle has military connections too - but can't find out anything about that in the early-mid 1800s.

GentleOtter Wed 06-May-09 13:23:17

Sorry - my computer is playing up and being difficult- link did not work.
Try www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/bwatch/bw21.htm

The Black Watch were over in Gib at that time.

NoNickname Wed 06-May-09 14:33:59

Thanks Otter - will check it out.

Ivykaty44 Fri 08-May-09 19:46:03

Gibraltar,Civil Status and Registration Office.
Registry of Births, Marriages and Deaths.
Joshua Hassan House.
3 Secretary's Lane.
Gibraltar.

Try here for birth certificates- if they started that early??

They were around by 1850 and apperently volunteer info before that, but when that started I dont know...

morskaj Wed 14-Oct-09 18:54:37

Hi NoNickname, If you go to www.napoleon-servis.org/military/organization/c_britarmy1793b.html it lists where the british army was in 1793. Also, Carlisle Castle was an army garrison in the 19th century. Hope that helps, Morskaj

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now