Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can anyone help with this question

(8 Posts)
candyfluff Thu 02-Oct-08 19:42:34

i have a relationship question - my mum has a cousin who has kids the same age as mine so am i her kids cousin? and what are her kids to mine?? im confused

Ecmo Thu 02-Oct-08 19:45:03

I think your mums cousin is your second cousin and her children are second cousins once removed....but I'm not sure

Ecmo Thu 02-Oct-08 19:46:42

oh here is an explaination

a person with whom you share a grandparent (but not a parent) is a first cousin; someone with whom you share a great-grandparent (but not a grandparent) is a second cousin; and someone with whom you share a great-great-grandparent (but not a great-grandparent) is a third cousin; and so on. The child of your first cousin is your first cousin once removed because the one generation separating you and the child represent one remove. You and the child are still considered first cousins, as your own grandparent (this child's great-grandparent), as the most recent common ancestor, represents one degree.

I didnt really understand it!!

Portofino Thu 02-Oct-08 19:49:17

You'd be 1st cousin once removed to her daughter, and your kids 1st cousin twice removed....

Cadbury Thu 02-Oct-08 19:50:37

Oh well explained Ecmo! That was roughly what I was going to say but not nearly so suscintly(sp?)

Ecmo Thu 02-Oct-08 19:51:58

it wasn't me it was wikipedia! grin

candyfluff Thu 02-Oct-08 20:09:07

thanks ladies

Cadbury Fri 03-Oct-08 09:40:31

ecmo, i'd have kept shtum and keep us all thinking you are extra articuate and very intelligent wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now