Talk

Advanced search

I have hit a brick wall int eh search for my mums family

(7 Posts)
saltire Mon 08-Sep-08 16:09:00

Last year we discovered that her Grandad was 1 of 12 - he had 6 step-siblings and 5 siblings, and her granny was one of about 6/7.
We discovered this on the 1891 and 1901 censuses, using birth certificates, and got an address for them at the time.
We know one of Gt gt grandads brothers died in WW1 - and that's it. I ahve left several psots on fmaily tree websites to no avail. We know they must have some living relatives.
Any suggestiosn as to where we can look next?
We have all the names and years of birth

bubblerock Mon 08-Sep-08 16:18:50

What is the name of the relative who died in WW1?

bubblerock Mon 08-Sep-08 16:22:52

oops - just reread your post and see you're looking for descendancy not ancestry. Have you put your tree on ancestry.co.uk?

saltire Mon 08-Sep-08 16:27:08

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for TBH. Its just that mum had no idea that she had all these Gt aunts and uncles, she only knew of 1.
I think we'd just like to know what happened to them. The street they lived in was called Goldsmiths Road(or Street) in Camberwell(Peckham?), not sure of my London districts.
My Gt GT Grandads family lived in 1 house, then 2 doors down was my Gt Gt grannys family and in another house ont eh street was Gt Gt grannys oldest sister and her husband and children

We have managed to go back a bit past 1861, just want to go forward a bit I suppose

bubblerock Mon 08-Sep-08 16:30:42

If you want me to take a look, email me (bubblerockjl2 at aol.com) what you have so far. You never know a fresh pair of eyes might help. I've ended up leaving my tree for months after getting stuck then going back to it and finding things straight away!

throckenholt Mon 08-Sep-08 16:45:19

have you tried genesreunited ? You can search on a name and date and place - if someone has them in their tree then they may well be related.

I think it costs about £5 for a year's membership. I have made a lot of contacts through that -don't particularly like the rest of the site but it is a good way of making contacts.

blinks Mon 22-Sep-08 19:34:46

are there any newspapers in the area they lived that are still around? They might have obituary records that are accessible...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now