Talk

Advanced search

The 1911 Census

(14 Posts)
Mercy Fri 22-Aug-08 10:03:42

Some news here

I can't wait!

EyeballsintheSky Fri 22-Aug-08 10:36:56

Ooh just registered. My house was built in 1904 so the last one was too early and I can't wait to see who lived here

suedonim Fri 22-Aug-08 10:50:36

Nothing much comes up on the link, Mercy. Is there something specific?

saltire Fri 22-Aug-08 10:55:47

I thought they released them after 100 years, so by saying soon do they mean in 2011?grin

Catz Fri 22-Aug-08 11:10:00

Apparently the whole thing is to be released once the 100 yrs is up (i.e. Jan 2012) but some information will be available earlier, from 2009. Details are here Apparently sensitive data will be withheld until the 100 yrs is up but I've no idea what that means. Depending on who you are and who you are living with, your address itself might well be 'sensitive' to you....

winemakesmummyclever Fri 22-Aug-08 11:24:40

Not sure what extra info will be on the 1911 census, but each census seems to add more doesn't it?

IIRC, personal data refers to any data that can be used to identify a living person (with the living bit viewed as v important for data protection purposes). Sensitive personal data today includes DOB, religion, etc. Not sure that kind of thing would be there in 1911 though. I suppose it is feasible that somebody on that census may still be alive, so they have to keep some data back as a safeguard. Not sure there are many 90-odd year old identity thiefs though hmm

Eyeballs - daft question, but have you tried looking at the electoral rolls for your area? Will only give you bare bones info, but it is a start.

Cannot wait grin

<<tootles off excitedly and sits on hands until next year>>

EyeballsintheSky Fri 22-Aug-08 12:49:10

I haven't actually, wine (may I call you wino? ) It's one of those things I would love to do but don't know how to start. I know these houses were railways workers' cottages but would love to know a bit more about it . For example, we got a piano a couple of years ago and DH said something about the narrow front door not being built to take pianos but then I realised that there's a good chance there was a piano in the house when the first family moved in.

These are the things I want to know. I love social history.

Mercy Fri 22-Aug-08 12:57:15

If you click on the 'about' tab it gives a bit more info.

here

Mercy Fri 22-Aug-08 13:06:36

Eyeball, this site might give you a few ideas

Hidden House History. There are a couple of other sites, if I can find them I'll let you know!

RustyBear Fri 22-Aug-08 13:29:55

My dad is still alive and will be on that census, winemakesmummyclever, he was born in April 1910.

Mercy Fri 22-Aug-08 17:08:23

Wow, that's amazing Rustybear!

winemakesmummyclever Fri 22-Aug-08 17:16:27

Wow - what's his secret? Hope he is in fine fettle and has many more years with you! I don't even have any of my grandparents anymore sad, but they were all born pre-1908.

ivykaty44 Sun 24-Aug-08 16:54:19

eyeball try the 1911 doomsdaybooks - they were a survey done of all properties in england and wales for tax purposes so will give info on who owned the house, who was living in the house, how much the house was worth, how much tax should be paid on the house and how many rooms.

Your own local archive may hold these or the National archive holds the entire collection.

ER records will be crapy as not everyone had the vote - only one in 3 men at this time could vote and woman were not deemd fit to vote wink

try street directories, these may give something

throckenholt Wed 27-Aug-08 11:32:01

don't get too excited about the 1911 census I am fairly certain much of it is damaged or missing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now