Talk

Advanced search

Don't suppose anyone here lives in Camberwell/East Dulwich and likes to walk round graveyards?

(39 Posts)
Wallace Tue 19-Aug-08 21:42:53

Long shot, I know grin

I have recently started tracing my ancestors and they are mostly from this area.

I live in Scotland, so too far away, but if anyone wants me to look round local ggraveyards I would be delighted grin

Wallace Tue 19-Aug-08 21:51:31

bumping because some numpty has filled up Active convos hmm

Ewe Tue 19-Aug-08 21:54:01

What does the graveyard bit involve, looking at every gravestone?

Wallace Tue 19-Aug-08 21:58:49

Well yes...

Well not really, just the older bits grin

It would just be interesting to see if graves could be found. I know graveyards down there are huge, and it would be very improbable that any could be found

Ewe Tue 19-Aug-08 22:00:58

I no longer live there but am seeing my friend there first week in Sept and we normally go for a long walk... no reason why it couldn't be through the graveyard I suppose!

Wallace Tue 19-Aug-08 22:03:44

LOL grin

Well if you do happen to wander round any graveyards, then keep an eye out for any 19th century "Baily"

And don't forget pen and paper

wink

Seriously, I wouldn't even no where to start - no idea even which graveyards, or whether they are still there.

But it would be so interesting if the graves were there.

Wallace Tue 19-Aug-08 22:05:38

I'm not lolling at you by the way. It would be very kind if you did take a walk through the graveyard.

just quite at the thought of you spending hours in a graveyard instead of going for a lovely walk in a park

PortBlacksandResident Tue 19-Aug-08 22:08:15

Dulwich has a beautiful graveyard. It was one of my faves when i lived in London.

Wallace Tue 19-Aug-08 22:10:07

I do like graveyards

Is it a very big one? I do know for certain that one of my relatives died in 1838 in East Dulwich.

MaureenMLove Tue 19-Aug-08 22:10:24

I love looking at old grave stones! I know where Dulwich is, but never have reason to go there unfortunately. You might be lucky though, I have a feeling there are a couple of MNer who are closer than me.

Wallace Tue 19-Aug-08 22:11:36

I would love to do it for someone else up here, but I have a feeling our graveyards are a bit smaller...

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 19-Aug-08 22:14:08

Could they be buried in West Norwood or Nunhead cemeteries (both very 'fashionable' places to be buried at the time)? I think you can find information about WN cemetery from the Lambeth archives and guess Southwark has something similar for Nunhead.

Wallace Mon 25-Aug-08 06:42:43

Thanks that is useful. I think some of them lived in Norwood anyway. I think they were quite well-to-do.

Twiglett Mon 25-Aug-08 06:51:40

I could do it for you

but I'm currently in turkey so you'd have to wait grin

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 07:01:41

Am no use at all for this but I love walking around graveyards and am presently going mad on crumbling old Colonial ones in Bangladesh.

Wallace Sun 07-Sep-08 10:14:18

Right, I have a job for somebody (Twiglett are you back fom Turkey?grin)

In West Norwood Cemetery there is a Baily monument grave 1,900, square 48. This may be my Bailys.

So, hands up for volunteers grin

Wallace Sun 07-Sep-08 20:50:51

a cheeky bump grin

ivykaty44 Mon 08-Sep-08 15:46:46

If you go to some municaple cemetries in London - or just on the outskirts as they were when they were built. Sometimes if you visit in the week the office will be open - ask there if you are allowed to search for a particular name in the register, it will also give the location of the grave.

Otherwise it may take two to three days to find the location of the grave and you may need camping equipment for the trip smile

Scarfmaker Sat 13-Sep-08 20:43:26

I live in between Camberwell/East Dulwich and used to research my family history and visit graveyards - the biggest one here is Nunhead.

If I start again I'll let you know!

thornrose Sat 13-Sep-08 20:46:33

OOh, my mum lives in West Norwood ,the cemetary is actually at the end of her road. I can have a look, next time I'm over there. What do you want me to do?

Wallace Sun 14-Sep-08 06:33:21

Ooh thanks. If it is possible to find the Baily monument at grave 1,900 square 48 easily enough if you could write down the details I would be soooooo grateful

A photo would be nice too, but prob a bit much to ask!

thornrose Sun 14-Sep-08 15:33:17

I'll do it next weekend, I'll take a pic on my phone if it's clear enough and I can send it to you?
I do love a "mission".

Wallace Sun 14-Sep-08 18:45:29

Gosh thank you so much

thornrose Sat 27-Sep-08 14:02:34

Hi Wallace, I went to the graveyard today and had a look for your monument but I didn't take the details blush and could only remember the name so I didn't find it.
It is a HUGE graveyard and very beautiful, this morning was a glorious morning and I really enjoyed the peace and calm (hope that doesn't make me weird!). It's hard to find solitude in innercity London but I did today, I didn't see another person and I was there for an hour.
I will write down the details and try again next weekend.

Wallace Fri 24-Oct-08 20:49:08

Sorry I didn't see this blush

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it - I love walking round old graeyards too.

If you do go again that would be lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now