Talk

Advanced search

Do you really care what your ancestors did? Watching Patsy Kensit just now and...

(150 Posts)
PeaMcLean Wed 13-Aug-08 21:56:28

wondering why she's getting soooo emotional about what someone did 200 years ago.

Now, I am only half watching, and I am interested in what my ancestors did, but I don't think it would move me to tears.

She seems to really think that what her ancestors does somehow reflects on her.

Am I odd in thinking that who your great great great great great grandad was does not impact on who you are today.

Ags Wed 13-Aug-08 21:59:57

This is driving me crazy! How many times has she 'cried'? Have you noticed a distinct lack of tears though? It has made me chortle at the men looking dreadfully uneasy beside her as she dissolves yet again!

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:01:00

oh i wanted to laugh at see that... doh

LittleBella Wed 13-Aug-08 22:01:39

But they're all like that aren't they?
Jezza Paxman almost burst into tears about his great great great great granny or whoever;

expatinscotland Wed 13-Aug-08 22:02:05

No, I really don't see the point of caring because when yer deid yer deid.

Is her forehead moving with emotion?

msdemeanor Wed 13-Aug-08 22:02:14

Ah, but they clearly all fancy her like mad! She is a very, very emotional person who cries a lot. I do know this from personal experience.
Actually - shh! - I got tearful too! I can understand it. I would be very upset to have generations of crims in the family, and very moved to find such paragons further back.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovemydog Wed 13-Aug-08 22:02:29

all the world a stage et al....

Sobernow Wed 13-Aug-08 22:02:56

MsHighwater Wed 13-Aug-08 22:04:27

Yes, I care. Not sure I'd cry but perhaps that's just cos I haven't found something yet that would provoke that kind of emotion. I thought the bit in Paxo's episode was very touching.

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:04:33

oh come on tho, it can hardly be breaking news to her...

msdemeanor Wed 13-Aug-08 22:04:35

I think for your children, it's lovely to say, yes, but your great-granpa was a SAINT!
She is hugely tearful, but I do think family histories are moving.

HappypillsGalore Wed 13-Aug-08 22:06:09

just turned telly on... have i missed it?

msdemeanor Wed 13-Aug-08 22:07:27

Can't say, but I have met her quite a few times, and she's very, very emotional! Cries quite easily. I honestly don't think she's putting it on at all. Also, she's very religious (!) and protective about her kids and I am sure the fact that she can tell her sons that they have illustrious forebears will mean a lot to her.

DillyTanty Wed 13-Aug-08 22:09:48

i pmsl, she came across as Not V Bright, didn't she?

fair's fair to jezza p and stephen fry, though, they were finding out about man's inhumanity to man etc and didn't spend the entire time blubbing.

Portofino Wed 13-Aug-08 22:10:58

Oh bugger - forgot to tape it! I've traced some of my family tree back to 1650. Most of them were peasants who presumably lived god awful lives - 10 kids in a 2 bed cottage with one labourer's wages coming in anyone? Just as well there was no MN then - their shopping budget and parenting issues must have been "interesting"! I have managed to find a link to Nancy Astor (1st woman MP) and married into the Waldorf lot and a link by marriage to Vinnie Jones. I have never cried though....

fishie Wed 13-Aug-08 22:11:14

oh she was such a berk on this. ridiculous set up bit at beginning to distance her from the 'organised crime'. krays AND richardsons is quite an achievement. we can all find at least one vicar and a few more criminals in our ancestors i should think but this was rather a whitewash.

what about her mother, not a single mention. more crims?

expatinscotland Wed 13-Aug-08 22:11:25

Is her forehead moving? Are parts of her face moving?

PeaMcLean Wed 13-Aug-08 22:11:59

See, i don't get that "illustrious forbears" bit. Doesn't make her any better does it. Interesting, but doesn't really make you better.

fishie Wed 13-Aug-08 22:14:21

there was a moment of very high drama when there was a slight twitch. but then i was re-mesmerised by her extremely expensive and yet artless clothes. i reckon that grey check jacket was v westwood.

weren't some of those vicars icky.

PeaMcLean Wed 13-Aug-08 22:15:12

Yes fishie, interesting they decided to forget the side of the family who were just normal people. Probably quite a lot fo them.

msdemeanor Wed 13-Aug-08 22:15:18

I agree, but I really think it will mean a lot to her, hence the tears. I think she finds her family's crim past very shameful and upsetting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now