Talk

Advanced search

HELP PLEASE

(14 Posts)
Tas1 Wed 13-Aug-08 20:47:54

I am trying to do my Family Tree and am quite new to it.

I have managed to track down marraige, births and deaths of family members through Ancestry websites etc but they are just lines stating names in alphabetical order of all the people registered in that quarter.

How can I then find the actual certificate so that I can lift information from them such as maiden names, fathers names and occupations, informants of death etc?

Does this make sence?

shrinkingsagpuss Thu 14-Aug-08 09:45:34

If you know the reference - ie name, year, quarter, place, and volume, you can then follow the links to the GRO, and order certificates. They are £7 a go, so don't order unless you are sure.

Are you trying to find people in recent (post 1901) history? or can you do a census search to try and be more sure about people?

There are lots of us on here who've done quite a bit and would always offer help!

I am registered with teh GRO, it makes it quicker to order certs, so could help out if you haev the details.

Tas1 Fri 15-Aug-08 19:15:07

Thank you.
I have done cencus searches right up to 1871. I am sure on most of them.

This is an example of one of my problems;

I have found my GGGrandfathers marriage entry in 1901 but it just shows that it was registered in Jan/feb/mar 1901. It is in the 2nd vol page 905.

Until I can get to see the certificate, I cannot find who my GGGrandmother was.

I have tried looking on the 1901 cencus but can't find him listed.

Would I be better off going up to london or can I get all the info I need on the internet?

Any help would be great, as I have hit a couple of brick walls.

catweazle Fri 15-Aug-08 21:57:54

I've done most of my research on the internet and bought certificates when I've got stuck.

What is the name of the GGGrandfather you are stuck on and I'll have a look as well if you like.

shrinkingsagpuss Sat 16-Aug-08 08:59:26

you can buy your certs all off the itnernet -there is no need to go up to London.

I agree with Tas1 - give us his name, andwe'll search too - 6 eyes are better thnan 2. Could his name have been mis spelt? could you search for him by another method - ie, parents names and places of birth, or try another version of his name.

You can order his marriage cert with the info you have -use the reference information, fill in his name, but leave the name of his spouse blank (obviously) On ancestry, when you are in teh BMD section, and you look at the details of name, quarter etc, on the right of the screeen, there should be a box that says "order this cert" - and this will link you to teh GRO website. You then register, and then fill in the details (so make sure you've written them down) - you pay online £7, and they post it to you - usually in abut 7-10 days dependng on how busy they are.

shrinkingsagpuss Sat 16-Aug-08 08:59:55

sorry -you are TAS1 (!!)

Tas1 Sat 16-Aug-08 17:24:36

His name is Alrich george Borrett.
The entry I found for his marriage just shows him as George also on his death cert his name is shown as Ulric not Alrich.
He was born in 1873 and died on 4/3/1950

I have found him as a child on the 1881 cencus with his mum martha, sister Alice, and brothers Ernest, Herbert and Ralph. I have since found his father Samuel on the 1871 cencus.

He was born in Riverhead, Sevenoaks, Kent and his family come from Suffolk.

If you can find his wife, that would be fantastic, thanks everyone.
Let me know if you need more details and I will try to help.

Portofino Sat 16-Aug-08 18:01:47

Hi,

I have found a George "Barratt" born c 1874 Riverhead, Kent living in Sevenoaks in 1901. He was a coal carrier and married to Susan, with daughter Rebecca. Give me 5 mins and I'll check who Susan was....When you look at the original doc it does actually look like Borrett.

Portofino Sat 16-Aug-08 18:08:04

Wife is Susanna Bailey b. Deptford c 1874. As you already know they married in Sevenoaks in 1901.

Tas1 Sat 16-Aug-08 18:25:02

OMG thanks soooooo much.

Where did you find this????

Tas1 Sat 16-Aug-08 18:37:00

From the certificate can you see the names of their fathers and their occupations?

Tas1 Sat 16-Aug-08 18:41:51

The other problem I have is I cant find a death cert for William Thomas Powe.

He was born in 1892, his mum was elizabeth and his sisters were Mary & Ellen, I don't know who his dad was.

He married Elsie Rebecca Borrett (Bailey) in 1918 and had 3 children, Olive, William and Arthur.

Portofino Sun 17-Aug-08 16:24:46

I can't a death record for William either but did find this family in Walworth in 1891 which matches up:

Name: Charles Pow
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Newington

Civil Parish: Newington St Mary
Ecclesiastical parish: St Marks
Town: London City
County/Island: London

Registration district: St Saviour Southwark
Sub registration district: St Peter Walworth
ED, institution, or vessel: 32
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Pow 34
Charles Pow 11
Elizabeth Pow 29
Elizabeth Pow 9
Ellen Pow 5
Emily Pow 6
Mary Pow 3
William Pow 10/12

Tas1 Mon 18-Aug-08 07:31:02

Thanks for all your help, you've been great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now