Talk

Advanced search

Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates

(3 Posts)
alpech Sat 09-Aug-08 08:53:13

Hi I am researching my family tree and on my fathers side there are no living relatives to talk to so I am relying on the little knowledge I have, plus I sent for my grandfathers birth certificate that cost £7. I would love to get more certificates but worry about the costs mounting, does anyone know if I go to the relevant library do they have copies of the certificates to look at or do they only have the indexes.

Alpech

SpinningCat Sat 09-Aug-08 09:07:58

No, the only way to get certificates is to pay for them. Once you get back far enough you can use the census returns and BMD indexes to tie things together through sites like Ancestry or FindMyPast and whilst it still costs to do this you can get more for your money - not just £7 per a few facts! If you have relatives from Scotland that will still cost you £££ as they have not sold on their records so you have to use their website to view them...

Have you tried www.freebmd.org.uk/ - only really any good once you are back to the start of the 20th century, but it's free!

Is there anything you are particularly looking for at the moment? I have a subscription to Ancestry which is just about to expire and could look a few bits up for you if you want?

alpech Tue 19-Aug-08 16:42:02

Sorry for the delay in replying this research has been keeping me very busy. Thanks for the offer to look people up on ancestry, I do have an account with them but sometimes find the searching quite long winded. I do however think that freebmd.org site is brilliant so thanks for that tip, I think it's much easier to find people and then I cross reference with ancestry.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now