Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ancestry.com and unmarried parents

(5 Posts)
Catz Mon 04-Aug-08 16:11:11

I know that Ancestry has religious ownership but it seems to assume that all our ancestors' children were born in marriage... quite a number of mine weren't! If anyone else uses this, is there any way of adding a father and a mother who weren't married to each other to a child? Every time I do this it automatically adds the father as a spouse of the mother.

Perhaps everyone else's ancestors were more upstanding than mine!

Thanks

CharliesMum08 Tue 05-Aug-08 11:07:38

Hi,

I use genes reunited and have the same problem!!! Obviously the owners of these sites are not so open minded as our relatives seemed to be!!

shrinkingsagpuss Tue 12-Aug-08 08:45:27

Genes reunited doesn't require 2 parents (obviously it needs a mother) - the lines drawn don't always mean marriage - you can identify in your notes that they weren't married.

As for illegitimate children (we have lots i our tree!!!) Genes reunited certainly is fine i haven't tried with ancestry.

Catz Mon 18-Aug-08 18:38:00

Thanks shrinkingsagpuss
Ancestry lets you put the mum in with an unknown father but as soon as you add a father in he will appear as a 'spouse' in the information about the mother. It's a bit irritating because although I've got my own notes, ancestry is where I have the tree so either it'll be missing an important bit or inaccurate... also it irritates me a little that it's such a 'chocolate box' picture of what people were like... maybe there's an added function that lets me do put it in.

CharliesMum - perhaps we are related... on the 'wrong side of the blanket' of course!

Catz Mon 18-Aug-08 18:38:00

Thanks shrinkingsagpuss
Ancestry lets you put the mum in with an unknown father but as soon as you add a father in he will appear as a 'spouse' in the information about the mother. It's a bit irritating because although I've got my own notes, ancestry is where I have the tree so either it'll be missing an important bit or inaccurate... also it irritates me a little that it's such a 'chocolate box' picture of what people were like... maybe there's an added function that lets me do put it in.

CharliesMum - perhaps we are related... on the 'wrong side of the blanket' of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now