Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas?

(6 Posts)
giddykipper Sun 20-Jul-08 09:18:03

We have done most of the family very successfully but completely stuck on my grandmother's line.

Her mother is an enigma - she remarried after my grandmother was born, my grandmother was put into a children's home, then we can find out nothing more about her mother. No death certificate, no further marriage, nothing.

Are there any records for emigrations?

Or do you have any other ideas about where she might have gone? This is in the 1930s/40s in County Durham if that helps.

Obviously this is not stopping us from taking the line back further, it's just a mystery.

eidsvold Sun 20-Jul-08 22:16:03

if you want to email me with anything you have on your great grandmother - I could check my aussie sources and see what I can find.

eidsvoldsn@yahoo.com.au In case she came this way.

I could also try any other databases I may have.

shrinkingsagpuss Mon 21-Jul-08 07:26:21

oh crumbs.
I have to be honest and say I struggle with more recent things. I've "lost" a g g uncle, who shows up on the 1901 census, then vanishes, and I can't find a death cert either.

If you know where she was at the last point of contact - there are voters lists in local libraries -how old was she? who had she married? Her husband would be listed not her - do you have those initial details?

I presume you are searching under her married name? So she married, had your g/mother, then married again? Which marriage have you no details for?

giddykipper Mon 21-Jul-08 19:35:06

I have details for both marriages, just not her death (under either name). I thought she might have married for a third time but no sign of that.

I know you'll find this interesting - I have been doing DP's family tree and there was a lost great uncle who went to New York in the 20s and disappeared leaving a wife and kids behind (still alive now). Turns out he settled down there and I managed to track down his new family in LA shock, you can imagine what his UK kids thought. He died in the 80s.

eidsvold - thanks for the help, I will email you the details.

eidsvold Tue 22-Jul-08 11:55:23

I am having trouble locating a death in the family. Mine is around that time too but in England.

ElvinaFrizzell Tue 22-Jul-08 14:20:18

Looking for death certificates is often a problem as deaths in England & Wales have to be registered where they take place so if someone dies away from home they can easily 'disappear'.
I have access to a lot of UK burial records at the moment (more likely to be in the expected area) so if you'd like to email me the details I'll have a look. Same for you eidsvold (I owe you a few wink).

My email is elvinafrizzell at yahoo.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now