Talk

Advanced search

If anyone needs any aussie stuff checked...

(30 Posts)
eidsvold Tue 15-Jul-08 04:59:00

I have ancestry.com.au membership - lets me see UK and Aus stuff.

Also have access to other websites.

If anyone needs any info from Australia. I am more than happy to help.

ElvinaFrizzell Tue 15-Jul-08 17:13:16

eidsvold, I have only recently started looking into DH's family and found this. George Ediker was DH's 1st cousin 5x removed (so close then grin). I'd love to find out what happened to him. In 1851 he was being held at Shorncliff Barracks Convict Station in Kent awaiting transportation. I've looked him up on ancestry.com.au and it gives his voyage date as 23 Oct 1852. I can't access the other details without signing up for the free trial, which I'd rather not do at the moment - might sign up for the world one as I have research to do in USA and Canada at some point. So I would be really grateful if you could look up the other details for me please. I am happy to help with any searching over here if you need any help.

ElvinaFrizzell Tue 15-Jul-08 17:22:14

Oops silly me, I've just discovered that if I actually sign in using my UK registration I can access some of it blush

ninedragons Wed 16-Jul-08 03:13:42

You're very kind to offer.

Is it only births, deaths and marriages that are covered? I know that my great-great-grandfather arrived from China on Robert Louis Stevenson's ship and stayed for the goldrush. I'd love to know if there's a passenger manifest but I don't even know the name of the ship or when it arrived.

eidsvold Wed 16-Jul-08 04:05:35

I have a cd rom with shipping lists on and I have a NZ postal directory for 1900 (01?)

Ninedragons - if you want to email me on

eidsvoldsn@yahoo.com.au with his name I will check my shipping CD rom.

eidsvold Wed 16-Jul-08 04:45:57

Elvina:

He departed Plymouth 4 Nov 1852. Arrived Hobart 19 Feb 1853.

His ship was called the Oriental Queen.

scroll down for some info

You would see from Ancestry that he was given either pardon or ticket of leave in 1854/55.

Here is a source that you should be able to apply to for more information.

here If you put George's name in and search it brings up a reference number. From reading - you should be able to organise for them to do you a copy of the record.

I will see what else I can hunt down for you.

ElvinaFrizzell Wed 16-Jul-08 13:20:29

Thank you so much, eidsvold. All that for stealing two sixpences too! shock A few years later another of DH's relatives also appears in the Old Bailey records. He killed the woman he lived with, got convicted of manslaughter and did one year hard labour hmm.

eidsvold Wed 16-Jul-08 23:08:08

i could not find out if it was a ticket of leave or a pardon. Possibly the later. It seems he did not apply for permission to get married whilst he was there or a convict. I figured since he was jailed in 1849 and that pardon etc record is 1854/55 he could have been pardoned. He would have served the majority of his 7 year sentence.

I hope the tas archivey record thing is what I suspect and you can get them to copy records for you. I would be intrigued to find out more.

[nosey parker emoticon] smile

I did find some other websites where you can add names to lists of convicts - so I will try and dig them up this afternoon for you.

eidsvold Wed 16-Jul-08 23:09:27

I am off to the national archives in Canberra and I did a search with his name. There was a gentleman listed who fought in ww1 - his middle name was ediker.... so perhaps tenuously a relative but I would have to delve further.

I tired the bdm records but they are only on microfiche by the looks of it - will try some more later for you.

eidsvold Wed 16-Jul-08 23:11:14

i also did a search of times online and the links to his name were not relevant to him. You may be able to sign up as an online member of your local library and it will let you access the archives of the Times.

I am able to do it here through the state library.

ninedragons Thu 17-Jul-08 05:28:36

You're amazingly generous with your time!

I've sent you an email.

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 06:46:04

nine dragons

could this be a help

If you want to do a search there. I will still search my databases and see if there is anything else I can dig up.

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 06:50:09

have emailed you some information back too.

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 07:00:26

As to the program I mentioned - it is fab - I have just built it bit by bit. Have only been at it since last Sept. But have found some nice surprises and sad ones too.

Actually my great great grandmother moved to Ballarat with her second husband around 1900. He was a surveyor ( mines from what I can gather) and she died there. I learnt she is buried in Ballarat. Her granddaughter and great grandaughter live in Melbourne and never knew she was buried there!!

ninedragons Thu 17-Jul-08 07:00:35

That's fantastic, thanks so much. Will have to have a dig around when DD goes down for her next nap.

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 07:02:23

Hope you are still there - just a question - do you know if that relative became or was a doctor??? Just curious - think I may have found something for you??

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 07:21:17

As to the davies - you could get some info here

just to try

it is the bmd records for NSW up to early 1900's. WHen you do a birth search for example it also tells you the parents' names.

ninedragons Thu 17-Jul-08 09:20:23

Blimey! He did become a surgeon - how did you know?

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 11:16:20

Oh okay - I can send you some links.

just one more question to check I am on the right track - did he settle in a town called koroit in Aus???

If so - I can email you some more information perhaps about his relatives.

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 11:18:45

do you have a date of birth you can email me??? I have found some information - just want to make sure it is his family and not a relative iyswim.

Mercy Thu 17-Jul-08 11:31:14

Eidsvold, I've also got a couple of questions for you while you're around! (what time is it for you btw?)

First, does the Australian ancestry site cover any NZ records? If not, do you know if there is an NZ equivalent?

I'm trying to track a relative of dh's who emigrated to Australia in the 1920s; would there be any records available for that time period?

Last of all, is it true that the Australian Govt did't retain census records until very recently?

Thanks!

sophierosie Thu 17-Jul-08 22:14:12

Hi Eidsvold - I'm trying to track my birth mother who I think may have moved to Australia - Shoshe has kindly helped me find out some information but I haven't got a clue where to look for australian info!

Have emailed you if that's ok?

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 22:20:15

that is fine - Mercy I can have a nosy for you re the ancestry and some other sites that I may have stumbled across.

Just don't have time to do it now as I am off on school run.

Will get back to you later.

eidsvold Fri 18-Jul-08 01:45:22

Mercy - came across this lot of links for NZ records - not sure how good they are but might be a starting point.

here

not sure about census records - have not really had to use them. I know there were some done but we have things like electoral rolls, school enrolment for QLD ( have used) the national archives. A lot of men fought in WW1 and 2 - ww1 records have been digitally copied and uploaded for you to view. YOu can also pay for others to be copied and uploaded for you to view.

eidsvold Fri 18-Jul-08 01:49:38

australian national archives

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now