Talk

Advanced search

Adoption record for deceased MIL?

(4 Posts)
ofwarren Fri 01-May-20 13:57:54

My husbands mum died when he was 10.
He has a family tree and has done a DNA test on ancestry. He has second, third and fourth cousins on there but we cannot see the connection. His half brother who he was brought up with has his DNA on there too.
Is there a way to get his mum's adoption records? We are just at a dead end.

OP’s posts: |
lots33 Fri 01-May-20 14:04:29

Yes it is possible but you would probably have to pay. I work in the field and you can Pm me if you’d like to know more.

The legislation allowing this is descendants of deceased adopted people access to records, came in in 2016.

Depending on when his mother was born, it is possible that no adoption file exists anymore but her original birth certificate will be obtainable which would give her birth mothers name.

You have to use the services of an intermediary.

ofwarren Fri 01-May-20 14:26:52

Her year of birth is 1953. If I pay for the record, would this give us her birth mother's name?
We have worked out from DNA records who her great grandparents were but we are obviously not certain if that's on the mother or father's side.
Just a mother's name would really help I think.

OP’s posts: |
lots33 Sat 02-May-20 00:30:13

An intermediary will be able to access her original Birth certificate and her birth mothers name. An adoption file may still exist - depends on the agency, definitely worth a shot.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in