Talk

Advanced search

Can someone help me find someone if you have Ancestry or Findmypast access?

(46 Posts)
HarrogateMum Thu 16-Apr-20 15:07:27

I am doing some research into the history of the house I live in which is Edwardian built in 1910. The story goes that a father (James Waterhouse) built it and the identical house next door for his sons, Haley and Frank.

Whilst I can find both of them on the 1901 census in Harrogate, when it comes to the 1911 census Frank is not on there with the rest of his family and the column where it says "no of children born and still living" shows 4 and 4 when infact with Frank included there were 5 children.

I feel like he has done something dodgy and become the black sheep of the family but have let my subscription to Findmypast lapse. If anyone can have a look for me and see if there are any other census entries for a Frank Waterhouse in 1911 in Harrogate...or any deaths between 1901 and 1911, I would be really grateful!!

My 13 year old daughter is helping me out and she is desperate to know too!!

OP’s posts: |
Saker Fri 17-Apr-20 09:29:06

I can find a death record for a Frank Waterhouse age 20 in 1903, in Knaresborough, which seems likely to be him. There is also maybe a newspaper article about him in 1903 (maybe a death announcement) but I don't have the top level subscription to see that. You might be able to find something in the British Newspaper archives - I think you get a few free looks before you have to subscribe. smile
I hope that helps!

Saker Fri 17-Apr-20 09:32:49

I can see what you mean about the 1911 census - they do seem to have filled it in very deliberately with even a line through the "children died" box. But I think often people misunderstood what they were supposed to write in so maybe just made a mistake.

Saker Fri 17-Apr-20 09:37:07

So this is what I can get off British Newspaper Archives but I can't see the full article because I've used up my quota!

RiftGibbon Fri 17-Apr-20 09:37:38

If it is any help, many libraries have access to genealogy sites. Normally you would use a dedicated computer terminal in the library, but right now I would think you should be able to access through the library website.

Happy to do more digging for you if you would like.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 09:39:58

I have a British Newspaper Archive sub, so will have a look shortly.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 09:45:37

Leeds Mercury, Saturday 21 February 1903

MR. J. N. ARCHER, ROTHERHAM.
News was received in Rotherham yesterday of the death of Mr. John Nicholas Archer, of Moorland, Clifton-lane. Rotherham, which took place at Egerton House, Harrogate, Thursday night. On Monday Mr. Archer was seized with illness while on his way to the cemetery at Harrogate to the funeral of his nephew, Mr. Frank Waterhouse. The cause of death was heart failure.

Mr. Archer, who was 66 years of age, was for six years vice-chairman of the Rotherham School Board, and afterwards chairman for some time. For nearly 25 years was the secretary of the Rotherham Mission, which has now ceased to exist. He was managing clerk of Messrs. Peter Stubbs Ltd., ironfounders, The Holmes, in whose service had been for 49 years, being the oldest employé.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 09:52:25

There are more, especially about Haley, which I'll investigate in a minute.

One thing to bear in mind about the 1911 census is that it specifies "children born in this marriage".

So if Frank was the son of a first marriage and his mother had died, then it could be indeed be correct for the census to show the current marriage having 4 children born.

HarrogateMum Fri 17-Apr-20 09:56:47

Oh you are all amazing...thank you so much! I exhausted my own family history but have this new focus now!! It all started when we moved into this house and the original plans were on the wall with the name of the father (James Cartledge Waterhouse) who built the house and the identical one next door...!

OP’s posts: |
TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 09:57:28

OK, that Frank Waterhouse who d 1903 is almost certainly a hit, because attending the funeral of John Nicholas Archer were "Mr and Mrs Waterhouse, Mr Haley Waterhouse."

Archer was connected to the Rotherham and Rawmarsh Primitive Methodists.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 10:02:08

In September 1902, Haley and Frank were awarded first class passes in Inorganic Chemistry (practical and theoretical) at Harrogate Technical School.

They'd sat the exams in May and June.

Saker Fri 17-Apr-20 10:02:36

They seem like an interesting family - obviously musical with a violinist and a pianist! Makes a change from the pages of agricultural labourers that make up my ancestors! grin

Thank you TressiliansStone for the full article. The death of Frank was registered in March Quarter so fits with that being the same person.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 10:07:18

Doesn't answer your Q, but maybe of interest anyway.

Leeds Mercury, Monday 06 November 1939

DOSSOR—WATERHOUSE
The wedding took place at the Church of St. Robert, Pannal, on Saturday, of John Dossor, deputy-engineer to the York Corporation, son of Major J. M. Dossor, a former Lord Mayor of Hull, and Miss Margaret Waterhouse, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Haley Waterhouse, of Broad Close, Rossett Green. Harrogate.

The ceremony was performed the Rev. C E Dixon, Vicar of Pannal, assisted by the Rev R Brittain, Vicar of Birstwlth, a cousin of the bridegroom. The best man was Lieut. Fred Dossor, R.N., brother of the bridegroom.

The bride wore a model dress of white lace with white veil, with coronet of orange blossom, and carried a bouquet of lilies. The bridesmaids, Miss Mary Boydell, Miss, Jean Woodhead. and Miss Mary Walker, wore picture frocks of ruby velvet, with coronets of velvet leaves, and carried bouquets of cream roses fastened with velvet ribbon to match their dresses.

A reception was later held at Broad Close.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 10:10:06

In an article about Haley's engagement in 1939, he's described as "proprietor of an engineering business in Bradford".

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 10:23:43

Egerton House, Harrogate, where JN Archer dies, is definitely a Waterstone address. Although obviously this doesn't explain what their relationship is to Frank.

Eastern Evening News ,Thursday 22 June 1905
Wanted, in Lowestoft, for August, good furnished house, 2 Sitting and 4 or 5 Bedrooms. Bath.—Mrs. Waterhouse. Egerton House. Harrogate.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 10:26:22

In May 1903, Mrs Waterhouse of Egerton House was looking for a similar summer house in Aberystwyth.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 10:39:38

Woah! Did you know James was from a wealthy family?

Leeds Mercury, Friday 29 April 1881
WILLS AND BEQUESTS
The will (dated July 1st, 1878), with a codicil (dated June 28th, 1880), of Mr. Edward John Wood Waterhouse, late of Holly Bank, Lindley, Huddersfield, coalowner and firebrick manufacturer, who died on Nov. 26th last, was proved on the 24th ult. by Mrs. Hannah Waterhouse, the widow, John Edward Crossley, and the Rev. Robert Gill Irving, the executors, the personal estate being sworn under £35,000. The testator leaves to his wife his furniture, household effects, and the live and dead stock at his residence, his residence for life or widowhood, and an annuity of £600 for life, to be reduced to £300 in the event of her marrying again; upon trust for his son, James Cartledge Waterhouse, £2,000 railway stock; to his executors £50 each; and the residue of his real and personal estate upon trust for all his children, except the said James Cartledge.

KrakowDawn Fri 17-Apr-20 10:47:04

This is all utterly fascinating!
Poor Mr. John Nicholas Archer though. Imagine dying on the way to a relative's funeral, such a tragic event.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 10:47:34

There's a James Cartledge Waterhouse dies 1940 aged 82, who left a rather interesting will:

Evening Despatch, Friday 21 June 1940
Left £150 a year to keep poultry
A Yorkshireman who left a fortune of £187,357, expressed in his will a desire that his widow should continue to keep poultry, and he left her “a further £150 per annum while she does.”

He was Mr. James Cartledge Waterhouse, crucible manufacturer, of Harrogate, and the amount of duty payable on his estate was £52,391.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 10:50:54

Sorry, this doesn't help you what happened to Frank!

In fact it deepens the mystery, as these were obviously prominent folk, so you'd normally expect his death to be marked in the paper by a family notice at the very least.

What were the full names of the pianist and violinist mentioned above? Perhaps they're in the papers somehow.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 11:02:55

In 1882 the family business was advertising to buy a "potter's throwing wheel, geared for power", replies to J.C. Waterhouse, Crucible Works, Wakefield.

Saker Fri 17-Apr-20 11:03:46

So in the 1911 census, there were three daughters - Kate, Maria and Mary Waterhouse who were a photographer, a violinist and a pianist. James C. Waterhouse is the father with the interesting will! They had a housekeeper and he employed people, so were obviously fairly well-to-do.

TressiliansStone Fri 17-Apr-20 11:13:32

A photographer? That's helpfully unusual. Hang on...

homemadecommunistrussia Fri 17-Apr-20 11:16:36

Assuming you are in North Yorkshire you can access find my past and ancestry through the library from home while we are closed.

homemadecommunistrussia Fri 17-Apr-20 11:20:09

www.northyorks.gov.uk/libraries-online-information-resources

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in