Advanced search

Tracing biological father help

(7 Posts)
pinkpinkeverywhere Sat 25-Jan-20 18:43:14

Please could anyone point me in the right direction for finding my husbands biological father? We know his name and his date of birth but what would be the best way to trace him?
My husband has done an Ancestry DNA test hoping this might find other relatives but it only came up with 5th and 6th cousins.
Thanks for the advice.

OP’s posts: |
Saker Wed 29-Jan-20 18:39:43

If he has an unusual name you might be able to find where he was born from the General Registry Office Index and from that you would order a birth certificate and get parents names, place of birth. If he is / was still living there you might find out from electoral registers etc. If you have any other information (e.g. name of siblings, grandparents etc) that would help. However if he has a relatively common name, and you have no idea where he was born, it could be hard to do it via genealogy routes.

LuckyMarmiteLover Wed 29-Jan-20 19:51:30

I can recommend a researcher if needed - I’m adopted and she found my biological father for me. I think it cost £200 though.

Drum2018 Wed 29-Jan-20 19:57:52

Have you tried to source his birth Cert via Findmpast or similar website? It's a shame he didn't get closer matches on Ancestry. Dh has done it and was matched to close relations. So you never know, someone might still turn up on that. Was your Dh adopted or did he live with his mum? How does he know his father's name/dob?

Ylfa Thu 30-Jan-20 11:48:46

You could also upload the raw dna to, GEDmatch and familytreedna to see if there are any closer matches there?

pinkpinkeverywhere Sat 01-Feb-20 15:02:40

Thank you everyone for the replies, I’d almost given up on receiving any so hadn’t checked for a few days. To answer questions...

Saker his father has a very common name which isn’t helping. My dp does have his original birth certificate and his biological fathers birth certificate. We’ve tried to look at electoral registers but not been successful.

LuckyMarmiteLover I would love the name of your researcher please. I shall send a message. I thought of this and used contact details from one from the TV but the cost was over £600 and I think this put my husband off!

Drum2018 Yes he stayed with his mum and was adopted by her husband when she subsequently got married a few years later. She doesn’t like to talk about it at all and therefore hasn’t been forthcoming with any details. She did tell him the name and this was backed up by my dh’s original birth certificate we got hold of. We roughly knew his age so were able to track down his birth certificate.

Ylfa that’s a good idea, we’ll give it a go.

OP’s posts: |
Saker Sun 02-Feb-20 20:00:57

If you have his birth certificate and also his father's then it would be possible to identify siblings and other family members from that information. It might then be possible to contact them via Facebook, electoral register etc and you might be able to find someone with a more unusual Christian name or something. I have access to some of the genealogy websites. I always enjoy family research so it would be no problem. If you want to PM the details I am happy to find out anything I can, but I can't promise it will be much. No worries if not.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in