Talk

Advanced search

has anyone done the genealogy MSc at Strathclyde?

(11 Posts)
PineappleDanish Thu 12-Dec-19 17:02:38

Considering applying for this course to start in 2020. It looks so interesting and totally up my street, even though i'm not sure what I'd want to do afterwards. Anyone else done the course, or part of it?

OP’s posts: |
AdaColeman Fri 13-Dec-19 12:29:05

I've not done the MSc, but I have done Strathclyde's free 6 week MOOC, "Genealogy, Researching your Family Tree" available on FutureLearn. It was very interesting and well presented, and absolutely packed with ideas and tips.

PineappleDanish Fri 13-Dec-19 12:41:04

Yes I'm going to do the MOOC in March - if I like it, thinking about the full course next autumn. Emailed a tentative enquiry and had a lovely, encouraging response.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sat 28-Dec-19 09:27:01

No but I've done their genetic genealogy short course, was very good.
I would love to do the masters but with a young daughter and working full time I don't have time.
Having spoken to people who have done this they say it's great but a LOT of work.
Tatitia the course leader (hope I've spelt her name right) is lovely and I'm sure she will be happy to answer your questions?

PineappleDanish Fri 10-Jan-20 14:25:09

Just bumping to say that I got my unconditional acceptance onto the MSc this week. Delighted. I emailed the course leader before Christmas and she was very encouraging and friendly.

So I'm enrolled to start in October, the course is available full time but i'm doing it over 3 years part time which should be manageable. Trying to get back into transcribing for FamilySearch and FreeCen until then to get my eye back in and watching repeats of Who Do You Think You Are on BBC2.

And I've already got two topics in mind for my dissertation...

AlphabetDinosaur Fri 10-Jan-20 18:35:21

Congratulations!

I'm really interested to hear how you get on as I'm hoping to sign up for the PGCert in the first instance.

I've just signed up for one of their Centre for Lifelong Learning short courses which I start next week as I've decided I'll use that to check that I can actually commit to studying again.

PineappleDanish Fri 10-Jan-20 19:37:05

Great! If you sign up for the certificate we'll probably be in the same group :-) Are you local to Glasgow?

Morgan12 Fri 10-Jan-20 19:40:29

What kind of jobs could this lead to?

PineappleDanish Fri 10-Jan-20 20:20:33

Well if you get the MSc you also get entry onto the register of qualified genealogists so you can work independently, or there are a lot of former students working in archives or other local history, museums. I freelance already so this could open some new doors.

AlphabetDinosaur Fri 10-Jan-20 20:48:08

I'm no where near Glasgow, I'm looking at doing it online. I've been thinking about doing further studies for a while so I'm really glad to have found something that actually interests me. I'd resigned myself to studying something related to my undergraduate degree but I wasn't that interested in doing that and this is so much more appealing.

PineappleDanish Fri 10-Jan-20 20:54:09

Yes, all the classes are online but I know the course attracts quite a lot of students from central Scotland. Maybe I'll "see" you online!!

I had also looked into other types of postgrad but really don't want to study further in my undergrad subject. And it's 25 years since I graduated anyway.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in