Talk

Advanced search

Ancestry - if I close my account for now, will it all still be there if I reactivate it?

(9 Posts)
SwedishEdith Tue 06-Aug-19 17:18:02

I've reached a bit of a brick wall and could do with not spending on it atm. Is there a way of pausing it so I can pick up where I left off later?

EggysMom Tue 06-Aug-19 17:20:02

Yes, I've availed myself twice now of the free access weekend they provide at Easter (2018 & 2019). I found that all the work I'd done in 2018 was still there to pick up and develop in 2019; so I'm hoping it will all still be there in 2020 grin

AngelasAshes Tue 06-Aug-19 17:25:10

Weird. I’ve been a member of Ancestry since 2000. (I was also member of its forerunner which was a volunteer family tree database thing like Wikipedia)
I do an annual subscription every now and again when I get the geaneology bug. When I’m not paying for a subscription, I have guest access for free to my trees and can edit, upload etc. I just can’t open any hints or search records for stuff to add without paying.

SwedishEdith Tue 06-Aug-19 18:56:35

Oh, good, looks like I can.

When you say "guest access", is that someone else letting you access the account or something Ancestry does when you want a pause?

AngelasAshes Tue 06-Aug-19 21:00:55

It’s something Ancestry does. I can log into my account like normal and it says you have 121 ancestry hints. I can view my trees, manually edit them. I can message. I see other public trees. I just cannot view hints, view the scans of records, or do the quick one click add to my tree type stuff.

AngelasAshes Tue 06-Aug-19 21:05:24

You just let your subscription expire or stop renewing it. Your account profile should say “registered guest”

AngelasAshes Tue 06-Aug-19 21:09:03

So, you are not closing your account. You are just stopping the subscription. At any time, you can choose to upgrade to a subscription.

AngelasAshes Tue 06-Aug-19 21:12:14

See the links on the right of the picture I posted? You follow the “how do I cancel my subscription” link to get this free registered guest access.

Don’t follow the “how do I delete my account” link. That’s erasure.

SwedishEdith Tue 06-Aug-19 21:44:01

Ah, thank you. All makes sense now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »