Talk

Advanced search

Unusual birth certificate

(12 Posts)
stellarparallax Fri 24-May-19 18:53:43

I’ve just found a birth certificate for someone born in 1926, but the birth was only registered in 1928. It says "Issued by the authority of the Registrar General". I guess they needed special permission for the late registration to avoid a fine, but does anyone have any idea what the grounds for permission might have been? "Oops, we forgot," probably wouldn’t have been enough.

sirmione16 Fri 24-May-19 19:00:48

Found this online which may be worth a read, someone in a similar position

https://genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/9615/penalty-for-late-registration-of-birth-in-england

CaptBarnacles Fri 24-May-19 19:13:44

I found this, read the section about reregistering after marriage
www.thurrock.gov.uk/birth-registration/re-registering-births
Could it be that the parents got married and reregistered the birth?

stellarparallax Fri 24-May-19 19:30:15

That’s interesting. Thank you. Elsewhere someone has suggested it might be a second certificate issued because the child was adopted. I’m not sure because I’ve never seen a certificate for an adopted child.

bananasandwicheseveryday Fri 24-May-19 19:44:50

I once had to contact a benefit claimant who had supplied what appeared to be her brother's birth certificate rather than her own. When I spoke to her, she explained thatvit was, indeed, her birth certificate - when she was born it was unclear whether she was male or female so was automatically registered as a male. Several years later, it was determined that she was actually female and the relevant surgery was carried out. At that time, her birth certificate could not be changed. I felt so sad for her, having to explain it all. She assured me she was used to explaining it, but I hope that this situation would be treated differently now.

I wonder if your birth certificate could be a replacement one for a similar situation?

Chottie Fri 24-May-19 19:47:11

Was your relation born in Ireland? I was watching a programme about the Magdalen laundries and some of the children born to the women working in the laundries. had two birthday certificates. The original one when the child was born and a second when the child was adopted and taken to America.

Windygate Fri 24-May-19 19:53:14

Illegitimate re-registered after the parents marriage? Several in my tree.

tldr Fri 24-May-19 20:18:34

Google for images of adoption certificates.

Adopted kids get a v short replacement birth cert that includes date and place of birth but not parents’ names.

The adoption cert says ‘name of the adopted child’ on it and has parents’ names on but does not say ‘birth certificate’ on it.

stellarparallax Fri 24-May-19 21:24:18

All useful, thank you, even if only to rule things out. She was born in London, to English parents, and the cert is definitely headed "Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth". I will google images of birth certs for adopted children.

fudgesmummy Fri 24-May-19 21:45:28

I was adopted as a baby and until I sent for my original birth certificate a few years ago only had an adoption certificate. Caused no end of problems when I applied to have the banns read when I got married!

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Wed 05-Jun-19 11:33:29

We have to 're register our children after marriage not that long ago. You are able to change the surname on the new certificate. But the new certificate looks identical to the original ones from birth. And it also dosent say on it that it's a re-registration. They just both now have 2 entries each in the birth records under dofferentnumbers.

RomanyQueen Wed 05-Jun-19 15:11:42

I'm adopted and have two birth certificates. One with a name on that the nurses gave me and my mother's maiden name, no father.

Then my adopted one with my adoptive parents names and my new christian name and their surname.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »