Talk

Advanced search

The eighties

(3 Posts)
sadsack78 Mon 06-May-19 23:07:22

Hi! I'm starting a project based on my mum's memories of being a teen/ young woman in Eighties Glasgow, and would be delighted if anyone who lived there at the time would share any memories or stories. Especially about what you wore, the music you liked, your memories of the city at the time.
This thread is also open to anyone who lived elsewhere in the UK and fancies sharing what their Eighties were like! Thanks everybody, I can smell the Cacharel LouLou from here grin

HennyPennyHorror Mon 06-May-19 23:58:43

I was a young teen in the 80s. I remember it as a particularly grim time to be honest. I lived in NW England....my family were ok because both parents had jobs...which were like hens teeth in our small town as the steelworks had just closed down in the late 70s.

We went from being a thriving and healthy working class community to one that had the heart ripped out of it.

Kids had holes in their shoes and clothes...I clearly remember one child being fed in the morning by the teachers at school every day and how his stomach used to hurt.

There was a terrible depressed feeling and a lot of drinking/drugs.

Chottie Sun 26-May-19 18:10:38

Are you talking about the 1980s?

I can remember when the Falklands War was declared in 1982 so clearly. I was standing in the kitchen, the radio was on, DS was sitting in his highchair having his tea. War was declared, my first thoughts were DS is too young to fight, DH is too old to fight....... It was an awful time. All those young men being cheered off to war in troop ship carriers...... to somewhere most people had never heard of.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »