Talk

Advanced search

Had anyone used Ancestry

(16 Posts)
purplepigs Mon 11-Feb-19 00:04:47

Has anyone used Ancestry and how easy it is to do?

AutumnCrow Mon 11-Feb-19 00:11:44

I did for a couple of months for a specific project; but I noticed that some of the 'trees' volunteered by others are very inaccurate, and other records transcribed and added by (presumably) volunteers have typos, so do check where you can against original sources.

RoseMartha Tue 12-Feb-19 21:31:23

Yes but as @AutumnCrow said you do need to check sources if looking at other members trees. A lot of them are not accurate.

Bekabeech Tue 12-Feb-19 21:41:36

It's pretty easy to use and has a lot of good information but beware of others trees as a lot have a lot of wishful thinking.

Alicecooperslovechild Tue 12-Feb-19 21:57:47

Agree that Ancestry is easy to us (as is Find My Past) but that you should treat other people's trees with caution. Both offer free trial periods, give them a go.

PaddyF0dder Tue 12-Feb-19 22:00:46

Hey, if you want to give the Mormon Church your genealogy, go for it!

(Not kidding - Ancestry.com is run by the Mormon church)

PlasticPatty Tue 12-Feb-19 22:04:03

It's good but I'm crap at it. I had a sweet knight back from a great-grandfather, and now I've compared some dates and had to let him go.

I have no objection to the Mormon church having my dna/genealogy.

Watch out for automatic upgrades of your membership - if they still do them - they can be expensive.

Alicecooperslovechild Fri 15-Feb-19 19:42:26

There is free access to this weekend if you want to try it.

purplepigs Fri 15-Feb-19 20:42:18

@Alicecooperslovechild is there ... free access on Ancestry?

Alicecooperslovechild Sat 16-Feb-19 14:45:14

Purple. - there is free access this weekend.

Flyingdaisy Sat 16-Feb-19 15:02:35

Ancestry is great for online research, but your motto needs to be- at least 2 sources of evidence for every fact you attach to your tree.Think relatives, address, occupation, date of birth etc.
There is an alarming number of naive/ignorant people randomly adopting ancestors with no evidence trail. I would advise NEVER accepting others research as your own. By all means follow up what their tree suggests, but stick to having credible sources.

purplepigs Sun 17-Feb-19 09:42:02

I have tried to use the weekend free Ancestry but it is letting me click on any of the document. I try and make a profile but it won't move on the to next page. Has anyone else trying using the site on their phone? Thanks

fedupntired Sat 02-Mar-19 15:39:55

Hope you don't mind me jumping on - can you access original documents through ancestry or do you need to contact the records office directly!
Thanks

RomanyQueen1 Sat 02-Mar-19 15:46:00

Very easy to use, but even if several trees agree it doesn't make them right as they could have copied the wrong information from another tree that was wrong.
If you do your own research though and limit access to other peoples trees then it's quite easy.
I've been on it for years and have become quite well known with others in my tree, and am quite advanced now.
When I first started I had the wrong generation married up, so grandparent with grand daughter etc grin I soon got better though and have gone back quite away.
If you know back to 1911 through family, this can make it easier to start.

RomanyQueen1 Sat 02-Mar-19 15:48:48

Don't buy records from ancestry, they are more expensive. I have an account with gro
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp
Doesn't take long to register.

fedupntired Sat 02-Mar-19 16:28:37

Thanks folks, this is quite exciting isn't it!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »