Talk

Advanced search

Annulment

(7 Posts)
Theworldisfullofgs Fri 01-Feb-19 19:25:03

Does any know how to find out if a marriage was annuled? C 1912-24

Basically trying to find out if someone remarried without getting out of their first marriage.

dodobookends Sat 02-Feb-19 18:23:29

Not too sure about that. Do you have the marriage certificate for the second marriage - what is the person's marital status? Just wondering whether it says divorced or widowed or whatever.

It might be worth trying to locate both parties on the 1921 census to see whether they were together then or not. Also, search for the death or remarriage of the other person involved too.

Theworldisfullofgs Mon 04-Feb-19 12:52:51

Do have marriage certificate for second marriage. It says bachelor.
The family myth was that they had to wait for first wife to be declared dead to get married. As far as I can see she didn't die. But haven't found a later death certificate.
1st marriage in england. 2nd marriage Ireland.

dodobookends Wed 13-Feb-19 19:01:17

Do you have actual proof of the first marriage?

Theworldisfullofgs Mon 25-Feb-19 01:33:06

Sorry for not getting back.

Yes I have evidence of both first and second marriage. No evidence of anything happening in between.

He married for the first time in 1912 and by 1913 had joined the army and listed himself as a bachelor.

BrizzleMint Mon 25-Feb-19 01:34:24

It might be worth looking at church records.

Theworldisfullofgs Mon 25-Feb-19 06:39:06

1st marriage was a civil service, 2nd was a catholic wedding in Ireland.

I suppose the question I might be asking is whether the catholic church would recognise the first marriage then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »