Talk

Advanced search

Wedding order of service

(16 Posts)
YouveCatToBeKittenMe Tue 01-Jan-19 14:57:56

Hope someoone can give me some ideas
I have found an order of service from 1930 and have no idea who the people are in relation to me. I dont have a subscription to any ancestory sites so am limited in what I can find. I looked on Find My Past but nothing seemed to match the names. I cant search the church records since it was demolished in 1972!
I have hundreds of photo's, postcards and memorabilia from my families but this is baffling me as the names are not familiar
Any clues how to find out who this couple were?

PerspicaciaTick Tue 01-Jan-19 15:01:26

Presumably you know where and when the ceremony was and the names of the couple, so you could request a copy of their marriage certificate from the registration district where the ceremony happened, which would give you their fathers' names and professions, their home addresses and the names of the witnesses...which might point you in a useful direction (or not).

RoseAndRose Tue 01-Jan-19 15:10:04

Not expert in this, but the church records will have been moved somewhere. I'd try writing to the Diocese

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Tue 01-Jan-19 15:23:28

I could try that. I do have their names but only one surname. As its written with their first names and then just one surname which I presume is the husbands. So no idea what the lady's maiden name was.
I think it's probably someone on my mum's side of the family as I have quite a detailed family tree of dad's side.

juneybean Tue 01-Jan-19 15:24:50

Have you found the marriage entry on freebmd? That will tell you her surname?

juneybean Tue 01-Jan-19 15:27:51

It's King if that's any use?

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Tue 01-Jan-19 15:31:43

Oh thank you so much!
Still none the wiser
Maybe they were family friends rather than relatives

juneybean Tue 01-Jan-19 15:33:09

No problem at all, I love looking at family trees and my genes reunited subscription goes to waste a lot these days as I've hit a wall with my own tree! smile

Unfortunately there were a few Constance M King's born in 1900s so can't pin down her birth entry :/

Quickerthanavicar Tue 01-Jan-19 15:33:51

Records are generally not kept in churches. The Diocesan will either keep them or they are at a records office with other documents.

panoramallama Tue 01-Jan-19 15:42:51

If you order the marriage certificate, it will have their ages and names of their fathers, so you will hopefully then be able to locate them on the census. Or you might recognise the name of one of the witnesses.

Was any of your family living in that area at the time?

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Tue 01-Jan-19 20:31:15

My mum was born in Plaistow in the 1930s which is why I think it might be my mums side
However my dads family lived in Finchley so could be that side too
I don’t recognise the surname thou

Windgate Tue 01-Jan-19 21:25:41

William J Ramsey married Constance M King on 23 Feb 1930 at Upton Park. Volume 4a Page 158. Does any of this make sense?

OlennasWimple Tue 01-Jan-19 21:48:15

Windgate / Juneybean - can you see from your searches whether there were any children? In particular, a Winston Gordon born in 1940 and a Jennifer Margaret born in 1939

I found a report of a Mr Wiilliam Ramsey buying a business which became the Plaistow Press in 1919, along with a Mr Benjamin Buckey. Companies House has some info about the Plaistow Press, including the DoB of the directors before it was wound up (look to be descendants of the first Mr Ramsey

Links here:

www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/essex/vol6/pp76-89

companycheck.co.uk/company/00687936/PLAISTOW-PRESS-LIMITEDTHE/companies-house-data

Windgate Tue 01-Jan-19 22:20:35

I am happy to have a look to tomorrow. Do you have any other information?

juneybean Tue 01-Jan-19 22:56:59

Can't find any suitable births on GR.

Winston and Jennifer look to be a married couple rather than brother and sister.

Windgate Wed 02-Jan-19 14:46:16

@OlennasWimple I will PM you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »