Talk

Advanced search

Question about marriage records

(9 Posts)
SwedishEdith Wed 17-Oct-18 18:15:49

I'm looking for ancestors. I've found a likely entry - right place, right time, one letter difference on name. There are also 2 other names listed on the entry - how do I know (other than ordering a certificate) which ones are the witnesses?

yamadori Thu 18-Oct-18 16:03:10

Which country are you in, and where have you found this information - which records are they?

SwedishEdith Fri 19-Oct-18 01:03:32

Hi. I'm the UK.

I think my confusion is that if I look up the marriage on Ancestry, the entry show 4 names, as usual - so the couple plus their witnesses?

Normally, when you click on each of the names, it links to the official document showing name, city, folio numbers. But when I click on one of the ones I want, it doesn't link to the formal registry entry. So, I assumed my ancestors were the witnesses? Don't even know if that's right.

However, I've now looked under FreeBMD for my ancestors and there's an entry number XX112 for one couple and for the other 2 names it's XX113 i.e consecutive. God, hope this all makes sense. grin.

So, does this mean there were 2 weddings on the same day at the same venue? I could (should?) just order the certificate but wanted to know if there was a way of finding out beforehand.

yamadori Fri 19-Oct-18 21:30:26

Different weddings. I think there are two weddings per page in the register. As far as I know, none of the records you can access online will give you the names of witnesses. You have to order the certificate to get that information.

If you want to order the certificate, then it is best to order it either from the actual register office direct, or from the GRO website. Other online options are commercial concerns and will charge you more.

AornisHades Fri 19-Oct-18 21:35:19

Yes 2 weddings per page. You'll need something to give you more info. Some wedding certificates are available online but most aren't. If you have a census return you'd know the first name.

SwedishEdith Fri 19-Oct-18 21:57:14

Oh, excellent, that helps a lot. I have enough info from FreeBMD to order it. Quite excited as just couldn't find this until the letter change option turned up. I'll order a copy (probably not be them now).

SwedishEdith Fri 19-Oct-18 21:59:53

I've been discounting records/entries because I assumed 2 of the names were witnesses blush.

cdtaylornats Tue 11-Dec-18 21:55:53

If it was a Scottish Wedding then Scotland's People will show you the original with witnesses, and the minister

ivykaty44 Sun 16-Dec-18 21:56:08

You’re looking at the General Register Office indexes which have been mostly transcribed onto freebmd

Sometimes there is 4 names, other times there are eight - as a double page will have 4 one side and four the other ( 2 brides and two grooms on each page) unless it’s the first page of the book or the last where it’ll be 4 names

You can find marriage certificates in church registers on ancestry, but only if the married in church after 1837 when certificates started and the registers have been filmed ( usually not passed 1890)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: