Talk

Advanced search

Looking for lost friend, have tried everything I know, any new ideas?

(7 Posts)
LeMesmer Thu 27-Sep-18 07:56:07

I am looking for a friend I was in the Forces with in the 80s. There were a group of 6 of us, have found 5, by there is one last friend who we are all desperate to find.

I have tried everything I can think of. There are lots of Facebook groups for ex Forces, tried on of them several times, people remember her but don’t know where she is now. There is a message on the Forces reunited website which I think may be her, but have had no reply to my message. I have googled and searched for everything I can think of.

One of the main sticking points is that she was adopted, so I can’t look st birth records to see if there are any siblings or other family members (I found one old friend through her sister, and one through her parents).

I have posted on here does anyone know her, friends have shared a message on Facebook, but I think one of the things about that is that perhaps people are reluctant to say if they do know her as I obviously could be anyone and not necessarily a friend.

Does anyone have any ideas where else I can look. I have her name, approximate age, we think we know her home town, possibly what she is doing now (if Forces reunited page is her), and a few other bits of information.

LeMesmer Thu 27-Sep-18 07:56:44

Sorry, lots of typos!

newrubylane Thu 18-Oct-18 11:16:59

The electoral roll is the obvious place to look - you'll have more success if her name is less common, and it also helps if you have some sense of where she might be. If you know about her partner you can also search for their name and cross check their names for a couple living at the same address.

BlueSkyBurningBright Sun 21-Oct-18 15:25:03

You can search the phone book, that might have some info. 192.com.

Urbanbeetler Sun 21-Oct-18 15:26:28

Do you think she may have had a name change due to marriage?

ToEarlyForDecorations Sun 21-Oct-18 22:19:00

ARRSE is the Army Rumour Service website. Take a look at the chat threads. It's anything and everything up for discussion. Some chats/contributors should be taken with a pinch of salt !

Have you put the name of the person you are looking for into 192.com ? Would their sister be able to tell you which school they went to ? Look them up on Friends Reunited ? Not saying they will be there, just another avenue of possible research.

Have you put their name into FreeBMD in case they died ? Sorry, don't mean to be horrible.

Apply to one of those tracing t.v. shows ? Paul O'Grady does a lost friend feature on his Sunday evening (5pm to 7pm on radio 2) show. You could write in with their details in the hope that someone hears it knows her and will get in touch with the show. If so, the show could pass the details on to you.

The Salvation Army have a missing persons service.

ToEarlyForDecorations Sun 21-Oct-18 22:21:41

Have you looked for their birth certificate ?

I can see the birth certificate of a relative of mine on line that was adopted. At the end of it, it just remarks, 'adopted'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: