Talk

Advanced search

Cheapest way - Family Tree

(5 Posts)
Rebecca4567 Thu 16-Aug-18 23:47:58

Hi I wanted to try and trace my mums family tree for her. I used Ancestry.co.uk years ago. It's now £60.00. Are there any other cheaper ways please? TIA

Kit10 Tue 16-Oct-18 17:44:55

If you go to your local archive or library they will probably have access to ancestry or find my past for free. There's also familysearch which is free but not as comprehensive and be careful with transcriptions.

SwedishEdith Wed 17-Oct-18 16:01:20

You can sign up to Ancestry for a month or two weeks and you can download anything you find to your computer.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 17-Oct-18 16:20:13

Aw well as Family Search, there's FreeBMD, Freereg and Freecen, and quite a few other free sites. Also, Ancestry periodically has free weekends. You could try using the free sites and then Ancestry's free sessions and see how much progress you make.

I do think you'll need to spend some money though - sometimes you will need to see documents like birth certificates to avoid accidentally tracing the wrong people.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 17-Oct-18 16:21:17

Just remembered - Family Search have centres around the country where you can look at proper copies of documents for free. I haven't been to one but I've been told the staff are very helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: