Talk

Advanced search

Anglo-Indian heritage

(6 Posts)
calamityjam Wed 18-Oct-17 11:37:31

My nanna was born in India in 1911, her mum was Indian and her dad English. What is the best way of tracing my family history? I would love to know if I have any relatives alive in India, but I don't know where to start

danigrace Wed 29-Nov-17 08:05:11

@calamityjam FindMyPast now has great resources for "British families in India" - start by looking for her birth record which should name her parents in 1911 (many earlier records often say something along the lines of "daughter of John Smith and hindoo woman" which is obviously not great) but fingers crossed you'll find her birth record, then look for her parents marriage record and go from there

marcopront Wed 29-Nov-17 08:12:40

Do you know where in India she was born?

calamityjam Wed 29-Nov-17 10:05:51

Yes she was born in what was Calcutta. I found her baptism record online.

marcopront Wed 29-Nov-17 15:46:24

See if you can join the Facebook group Expats in India and ask there if anyone can help. It isn't very active but there doesn't seem to be one for Kolkata, there are loads for Mumbai where I am.

Vicks30 Sun 14-Jan-18 21:56:46

My dads parents were both born in Bombay (now Mumbai) my grandfathers mother was also born in India with his father being Scottish and my grandmothers mother was born in India with her father being Italian. They both moved to england very early on and my dad and his siblings were born in England. My aunt tried to trace some more family but said it was very difficult as not many records. I managed to trace down my grandmothers cousins children who are roughly my dads age. It can be done just takes a lot of resources

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now