Talk

Advanced search

DNA ancestry testing - which is the best service to use?

(14 Posts)
kwick Mon 16-Oct-17 18:56:58

I am very interested in finding out where I came from grin So for example what % of me comes from UK or elsewhere. Do you lovely people have any recommendations for the best DNA testing service I can use? I am not that bothered about establishing a family tree - more understanding my genetic make-up.
Many thanks in advance!!!

Ewanwhosearmy Mon 16-Oct-17 19:17:00

If you are predominantly British then the best one is Living DNA. Apparently good at pinpointing which bit of the UK you are from.

Otherwise they are all much of a muchness because their actual purpose is to match you with people who share your DNA, rather than be accurately predicting where you are from.

ReinettePompadour Mon 16-Oct-17 19:28:23

Ive done the ancestry one. Read the wording very carefully. It doesnt tell you where your ancestors come from. It says that your dna make up matched xx% of people in xx country that they have collected data from. Its not the same as your ancestry being 80% spanish.

Its great for novelty value but its expensive for what it is.

kwick Mon 16-Oct-17 19:41:51

Thank you @Ewanwhosearmy!
I am allegedly 50% English and 50% Spanish  perhaps I should see if there is a Spanish service I can use...

Thanks @ReinettePompadour! The Ancestry one is the dearer option I think!

eloisesparkle Sat 03-Feb-18 20:59:28

Has anyone used Geno 2.0 Ancient DNA testing - I think it's a National Geographic business?

ElasticFirecracker Wed 07-Feb-18 19:20:22

It's important to understand what part of your DNA is being tested.

There are three main types of test:

MtDNA
This tests your mitochondrial DNA which you inherit from your mother. This test is available for men and women, it tests your maternal line.

Y-DNA
This test is only available for men and tests the Y chromasome which is passed down from father to son.

Both mtDNA and Y-DNA don't change significantly from generation to generation.

Familyfinder/Ancestry DNA/MyHeritage DNA

This type of test has become very popular. It's available for men and women.

It tests your autosomal DNA which you inherit in equal parts from your parents. Each time this DNA is passed on it's recombined - mixed up a bit.

As you go back each generation the amount of Number of ancestors you inherit this DNA from grows exponentially.

Partners: 50% & 50%
Grandparents: 25% & 25% & 25% &. 25%
Great grandparents 12.5% & 12.5% & 12.5% &. 12.5% 12.5% & 12.5% & 12.5% &. 12.5%.

And so on.

This type of DNA is only really useful for going back about 4 generations.

Each company you test with compares your dna against their own database, so it's worth c

ElasticFirecracker Wed 07-Feb-18 19:22:57

Sorry accidentally pressed post.

Should read Parents 25% % 25%.

And last bit should be: worth considering whether you can download your data and upload it to other sites in order to get more matches.

Aridane Wed 07-Feb-18 19:25:36

AncestryDNA has the largest database

CormoranStrike Wed 07-Feb-18 19:26:55

I used ancestry.com

howrudeforme Wed 07-Feb-18 19:32:04

Ds was interested so used ancestry.

He is mixed but they rely on their database of users. It was not specific on his Asian side and not pretty specific on uk.

Oddly it was more specific on his Italian side as he shared lots in common with a huge group of Italians in NYC!

user1465146157 Wed 14-Feb-18 17:18:48

I did the Ancestry.com one and was so disappointed - the advert makes it look like there will be really specific results but its so broad - so tells you a percentage of a continent but not actual countries.

I felt it was a waste of money -but maybe other companies are better?

FluffySavage Wed 14-Feb-18 17:27:17

Whichever one you go with check their privacy policy carefully. Ancestry reserves the right to sell your genetic data to whoever they want...insurance companies, pharma companies etc.

NambiBambi Thu 15-Feb-18 08:17:33

I have just got my Heritage results back this morning and it is quite confusing. Is it normal to wonder whether they have got me mixed up with someone else?

Aridane Thu 15-Feb-18 10:36:10

What's confusing, Nambi?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now