Talk

Advanced search

DNA test

(4 Posts)
FairytalesAreBullshit Mon 27-Mar-17 22:02:51

Has anyone paid for the DNA test? How did you find it?

SestraClone Fri 31-Mar-17 08:00:53

Still waiting for my results! I have one an Ancestry and one at FamilyTreeDNA. I am also really tempted to have one done at LivingDNA as they are more UK orientated.

Puremince Sun 23-Apr-17 21:24:00

I did the Ancestry one. The genetic origins part is quite vague. "Ireland" includes Scotland, for example. There were no surprises, but it was interesting.

The DNA matches linked me to three 3rd cousins, and dozens of fourth or more cousins. It's a bit frustrating if the distant cousins linked to haven't done a family tree, and it's impossible to say what the connection is. However, I've had some very good links, and it's great that the DNA has confirmed links to distant cousins that I already knew about through conventional genealogy.

cdtaylornats Sun 30-Apr-17 23:36:21

The genetic communities part of Ancestry provides more details - but no one can really tell Scots/Irish/Welsh/English apart genetically - there has been so much interaction between them over the last 2000 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now