Talk

Advanced search

English death certificates

(8 Posts)
Chocolate1985 Thu 05-Jan-17 18:46:27

I had downloaded what I assumed was a death certificate for one of the family I'm looking into but it's just a line in a long list of people who died in that quarter in that area . Is there any way I can find a fuller copy of this ? In Scotland death certificates I've downloaded so far have had so much detail on them which is actually helpful in research .

mummytime Fri 06-Jan-17 17:55:27

You can't download death certificates in England. You have to buy them from GRO via their website (or pay more via Ancestry).
What you have sounds like an entry in a burial registry, which is not the same thing but is also all you may be able to get before Deaths were registered in England.

Chocolate1985 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:23:58

The deaths im looking for are 1938 and 1943 what would be the chances of getting more information on certificates from then ? The mother died then two of her children (adult ) were killed in an air raid and we imagine a lot of the family mementoes etc got destroyed in the air raid too sadly .

mummytime Fri 06-Jan-17 23:20:51

Those will be available from GRO. It will give you their cause of death and who recorded it. (But that might not give you much if killed in an air raid).
Have you looked at the Civilians killed in World War II file?

Chocolate1985 Fri 06-Jan-17 23:53:41

No where's that smile

mummytime Sat 07-Jan-17 10:01:53

I've seen it on Ancestry, but it's a bit hidden and might not tell you much more than you already know.

Chocolate1985 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:03:58

Had a look but there wasn't too much on it either

BestIsWest Mon 09-Jan-17 21:07:08

Commonwealth War graves also has details of civilian war dead. CWGC.org. There's not a huge amount on there but it might help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now