Advanced search

Adopted age 8, whos name do I put on marriage certificate?

(10 Posts)
Firsttimemummy86 Fri 14-Oct-16 21:42:48

Hi all, a complicated issue here but bare with me.

I am due to get married in 6 weeks but I am having a dilemma about who I can write as my father on my marriage certificate.

My mother had an affair and conceived me, her husband thought I was his and so she had to write her husbands name on my birth certificate rather than my biological father.

At the age of 8 I was then adopted by my mothers next husband and I had a legal name change (I do not like this man therefore do not want him on my marriage certificate)

At 13 my mother divorced (again) and told me of my illegitimate conception and made me aware of my actual biological father. I have had a relationship with him ever since and as closure to my complicated childhood I would like to write his name on my marriage certificate... is this possible?

Any advice given would be much appreciated.

ThinkOfAWittyNameLater Fri 14-Oct-16 21:46:15

Firstly, congratulations for your upcoming wedding.

I have no idea of legality, but when we submitted the information for the certificate, we didn't have to provide any evidence. That makes me think you can put down whom ever you chose.
Hopefully someone with legal knowledge will be along soon!

tribpot Fri 14-Oct-16 22:03:04

I came across this advice from Leicestershire County Council (PDF link) which says the name should be that of 'birth father' but if no information is supplied the section on the marriage certificate should have a line drawn through it.

Personally I think I would do that - I would think you are meant to record your adoptive father even thought your biological father presumably never consented to you being adopted. What a mess.

I would ask the registrar if you can just not supply the information.

JustSpeakSense Fri 14-Oct-16 22:09:35

I would put the name down of the man I considered my you will not be asked for any legal proof.

But that's just me, a bit of a rebel.

No doubt some cautious legal person will be along and say you need to do things by the book.

Btw congratulations on your impending marriage!

Akire Fri 14-Oct-16 22:13:04

Put down what you want, but it helps family historians of the future if they know why great grandmas birth certificate has a different name to her marriage certificate!

GerdaLovesLili Fri 14-Oct-16 22:13:30

I put my adoptive father. That's what's on my "birth" certificate. (or the document that has been issued to me as a birth certificate).
Do you have a re-issued "birth" certificate with your adoptive parents on it, or do you still use your original birth certificate?

tribpot Fri 14-Oct-16 22:18:34

This is the page with the following guidance notes which simply say 'Names of Fathers - If known, please supply for applications without a GRO Index Reference'. It's not required information. This is further supported by the Guidebook for The Clergy (this is a real thing) which says on Page 21 "If either of the couple does not wish to supply their fathers’ details, you should put a line in the box.". Just above the guidance says the details of the 'natural father' should be supplied, meaning you could include your biological father. I would just worry that in the event of this being cross-checked against your birth certificate for some reason in the future it will raise a red flag.

SheSparkles Fri 14-Oct-16 22:21:14

I'd ask the registrar, although it's your situation, I'm sure they'll have come across similar before

chattygranny Fri 14-Oct-16 22:24:58

If you apply to the GRO I believe you can get your birth certificate details changed. In these days of DNA I believe this is easier than it was for obvious reasons. If this can't happen before your wedding you may be able to get away with giving his name as PPs suggest but if you want to regularise it I know you can. Suggest you look up website, find a number and try to get some specific advice.

Firsttimemummy86 Fri 14-Oct-16 22:58:57

Hi Akire
Thank you for your comment.... this is one reason I wanted to put my biological fathers name down, I am very much into my family history and my biological fathers twin is quite upset that there is no real paper trail to link me to their family. Hence hoping we could put their family name down.

I do have a re-issued birth certificate and all documentations are in my adopted name however I feel quite unattached to this name and do not feel it is 'mine' as I have no relationship with my adoptive father or mother hence not wishing to write adoptive father on my marriage certificate either.

Many thanks everyone for responses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now