WWYD?

(4 Posts)
shinyspangly Tue 11-Oct-16 21:12:58

My dad has recently found out that his father who raised him until his death wasn't actually his biological father.

My dad has a vague idea of who his real dad was. Would you contact this person in the hope it's them?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 12-Oct-16 17:33:46

It's up to him. If your Dad felt like the chap who died was his 'father' I'd leave it alone.

twinkletoedelephant Wed 12-Oct-16 17:41:15

My dad found out in his 60's he was 'adopted' his sister and wife pushed him to meet their biological family...

It wasnt what he really wanted and he didn't gain anything from the experience, he us only in contact with one brother now as they have similar interests. Overall he said it was pretty pointless.

HarrietVane99 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:51:03

Does this man have any idea he could be your dad's biological father? If not, it could be a huge shock. It seems a bit intrusive, especially as he might be quite elderly now. And what about your dad's mum? Is she still alive? How does she, or would she, feel about it?

If he doesn't know if he is your dad's dad, how would you prove it, short of dna testing? And if he does know, presumably there's a reason he's never been in contact. Could open all sorts of cans of worms. I'd be inclined to let sleeping dogs lie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now